Sunday, July 29, 2007

Lucky pink shirt...

Playlist
Alice Cooper – Singles 1980 – 2001 (CD-R)
Fabian Kallerdahl Galore – Maxi Music (S-CD)
MusicMusicMusic - Macbeth

Slept in till 8:15 then up and burning a few copies of the Souvenir disc to take along to today’s gigs…

We discovered the phones at Crispycat Towers are on the blink so we’d need to get replacements at some point today…

After breakfast we set off for Aberdour just after 11, arriving with around 20 minutes to spare before my set…

By all accounts the sound was good but, to be honest, no one was really paying that much attention to the music, treating it as background noise as they went round the various stalls or queued for their Buffalo Burgers…

I still enjoyed it though and the set went without a glitch (although I had to pause a couple of times for announcements regarding badly parked cars, lost children etc -the usual stuff…)



We headed back to Edinburgh just after 1, to see about getting some new phones - an hour later, mission accomplished…

Then some quasi-DIY as I replaced a bulb in the light outside the front door…

A quick run through the songs in tonight’s set which I hadn’t already sung today and I decided to do all the new songs at the start, with all the better known ones (in fact this morning’s set bar two songs) at the end…

Then round to Anne’s mum’s for the family tea - the first for a while where everyone was in attendance and a good time was had by all - including young Ollie who insisted on quizzing me as to whether there had been any episodes of Dr Who which I hadn’t enjoyed and, if so, which ones…

I couldn’t think of any…

I left around 7:30 and headed for the Listening Room gig, feeling a bit nervous about “me and an acoustic guitar”. I’d invited James Jamieson to accompany me on a few tunes but had received no word back…

The evening kicked off at 8 with my old chum Ian Sclater doing a couple of songs including one from the album we recorded together in 2005…

Jamie did turn up after all and was encouraged to do two songs, “Welcome to the World” and the excellent “The Morning After”…

I finally took to the floor around 9:30 and must say this has to have been one of the most enjoyable gigs I’ve ever played. I was relaxed from the off and even managed some almost witty inter-song banter. The audience was very supportive and to have them singing along to the likes of “A Nice Job in a Small Town” was amazing...

Although Jamie didn’t play guitar with me, his harmonies were a welcome feature in many of the songs...

I was even forced to get my guitar back out of its bag and play a couple of encores...

An unrehearsed “Skylines Full of Cranes”, with Jamie shouting out the chords and compere Scott Renton singing the words in case I forgot them (which I of course did), was followed by a request from Scott, “Very Small”, which I’d sung earlier today in Aberdour...

A great night...

Home around midnight – all over till the next time...

Tomorrow – back to the jazz fest...

Highlight of the Day : A great gig with a great audience...

No comments: