Saturday, July 28, 2007

Busy, busy, busy...

Playlist
Chris Lyons – The Ill Tempered Klavier
Esbjorn Svensson Trio – Strange Place For Snow
Various – Now That’s What I Call Music June 2005 CD-R
Alvin Curran – Inner Cities (Disc 1)
Alice Cooper – 40 Years (Disc 2) CD-R
Dylan Howe Quintet – Translation
MusicMusicMusic – Macbeth
Fabian Kallerdahl Galore – Maxi Music
The Bad Plus – Suspicious Activity
Halloween, Alaska – Too Tall to Hide

Up at 6 with a busy day ahead...

But before that, here's a pic of Meg the Black Cat - for no other reason than she is cute...



Prepared the package for Jorg and Yvonne (turned out the post is on strike though so I didn’t post it today)...

Also burned a wee MP3 CD of some recent classical purchases and a few interesting albums to pass on to Dr Prog along with his promised Telemann box set. I was due to meet him uptown at 11:30...

After breakfast and running late (as ever), I first had to take some old rubbish to the municipal dump...

Then parked the car and walked into the town centre, where I happened upon Dr Prog parking the prog-mobile outside the National Museum of Scotland - (how very apt, Dr Prog)...

We headed to the music library and each took out far too many discs for listening pleasure over the next three weeks (even though we have far too much music in our homes already)....

My haul?

Jordi Savall - Les Grandes Eaux Musicales de Versailles
The Divine Comedy – Fin du Siecle
Alvin Curran – Inner Cities (4CD)
Mile Davis – The Cellar Door Sessions 1970 (6CD)
Esbjorn Svensson Trio – Tuesday Wonderworld
Jordi Savall – Rosenmuller : Sonata da Camera e Sinfonie
David Bowie – Sound & Vision (4CD)

Tasty...

With the demise of Fopp, our further browsing opportunities were limited and we decided we had enough to be going on with (especially with the 12 discs I’m now expecting, postal strike permitting, from e-bay)...

We lunched and chatted about music as we do – with Dr Prog regaling me with tales of his recent excursions to Berlin and Manchester to see the Genesis tour...

Then it was home time for me while Dr Prog went off to see Chris Lyons at the Jazz Bar – a gig I was disappointed to forego but I had a prior appointment with Barcelona...

Anne and I drove round to her mum’s and we walked along to Murrayfield for the 58,000 attendee attracting friendly between Hearts and the mighty Catalans – the latter using this as a practise match – easily soaking up all the bluster Hearts could muster...



At 1-1 Hearts were doing not too badly, and Barca’s only goal thus far had been a (deserved) penalty. But two further goals, the build up to which cut through the Hearts defence like a hot knife through butter, did for the Jambos...

Our nephew, Craig, was in the press box , penning the official match report for the Hearts website...

On the way home we went for an Indian Takeaway to a place we’ve often driven past but never sampled, the Bombay Feast. Their kitchen is in the front shop and I watched as the expert chefs prepared all the orders....



Very tasty indeed and will be subject to our future custom I think...

After the meal, I had a swift run through the 30 minute set for Aberdour tomorrow (I’ve not got time to go through the Listening Room set again so it’s a one rehearsal job for that one)...

Then out to the Jazz Festival – tonight Fabian Kallerdahl Galore, a quartet of piano, guitar, stand up acoustic bass and drums...



OK they had a hard task living up to Chris Lyon’s performance last night but they just about pulled it off – they were really “cookin’, man” during several of their extended numbers...

Once again, I bought a CD even though it was by a different band (MusicMusicMusic) featuring MrKallerdahl...

I bumped into my old friend Roger Spence of Assembly Direct, Jazz Fest supremo and erstwhile five-a-side buddy – he managed to bag me a free CD single of the Galore band and regretted he’d be unable to come along to my impending performances due to his obvious prior commitments to the Jazz Fest but I’ll send him a CD – great to see him again – I miss the footie....

Once again ended the day driving home to the strains fo some new jazz in the car...

A busy, enjoyable day....

Highlight of the Day : Two goals from Ronaldinho...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Flattery is the highest form of mimicry: ha ha.