Friday, July 19, 2024

Friday, music, food and art...

Playlist
Sparks - The Girl Is Crying In Her Latte
David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars: The Motion Picture Soundtrack
Shelby Starner - From In The Shadows
Bill Frisell - Harmony
Various Artists - Island Presents: Dub - 38 Hard and Heavy Dub Cuts 1976-1990
Genesis - Platinum Collection
The Rolling Stones - Rolled Gold
The Residents - Commercial Album
Premiata Forneria Marconi - L'Album Di PFM
Various Artists - The Wire Tapper 65
Various Artists - I'm Every Woman: Pop Queens of the Seventies
Various Artists - Hemisphere No More
Steve Hunter - The Deacon Speaks
Dick Wagner - Home At Last
Deep Purple - 1
Orange Goblin - Science, Not Fiction
Sparks - No. 1 In Heaven (45th Anniversary Edition)
Celer - There Were More Failures Than This

Ah, it's Friday again...



Time for new music (even though I gather in new music every single day)...


Slim pickings again this morning but some nice things to feature in the podcast (when I get it done - I have no time today)...

Decided against more rehearsing before tomorrow's meet up with the boys in the band and so, packed everything away in readiness...


Anne was off at Zumba when I left - although, post this pic, I decided on buds rather than full size nut-phones...


I was out and, indeed, about...





Alighted at Haymarket and, by chance, passed Mia's Kitchen (where Anne and I were last Sunday and to where I was due to return today at 2:30), noting it was closed due to "technical difficulties in the kitchen"...

Messaged my lunch buddies and looked for a new venue...

This looked interesting but was a step too far...



In the end, booked over the road (and perhaps connected) La Tasca...

Met up at the Guards Club (from which I STILL await possible gig dates), enjoying drinks in the garden...


Then back to Dalry and in - with Gary, Wendy and Bernie...


Top notch fayre indeed...

Mussels...


As ever for me, all shells removed pre any scoffing...



Other choices included Bruschetta for Bernie, Tortilla for Wendy and Gary chose as per Mr CBQ...

Top mains too - Chicken for Wendy, Sea Bass for Gary, Risotto for Bernie, Prawn Linguini for me...


Linguini close up...


And puddings of ice cream or baklava...



Very reasonable too...

A walk along to Shandwick Place for drinks at the Fox and Faun...



...before I exited to meet with Anne at the National Gallery, of whom we are "friends" and so were invited to s preview of the John Lavery exhibition, opening tomorrow...


I did not expect to be impressed but I was impressed...


His being commissioned to paint the state visit of Queen Victoria to the Glasgow International Exhibition launched his career as a society painter and he moved to London in 1896, weedling his way into the society set and travelling around with them, painting, before becoming a war artist in late in WWI...







These two were probably my favourites...








I was surprised that the blurb re this one didn't mention the amount of work which must surely have gone into painting the wire of the fence around the tennis court...










This was Anne's favourite...


It has a top back story...


I used to always just take pics of the pics - now I enjoy portraying the viewers too...

I was particularly pleased with this shot...


...taken in the room of his war works...











Edinburgh also featured...



This is a very large window and surely cannot be to the correct proportions...









Very enjoyable - a pleasant surprise indeed...

Bus home for the first night of the proms, which featured one of Anne's childhood faves, Beethoven's 5th Symphony...


Later on, the beast was listening to new things...


...pre bed...

Meanwhile my erstwhile compadres day ended around 11...


Hardy souls indeed...

Highlight of the Day: Out and about...

Today's New Music:-

No comments: