Friday, July 04, 2008

Bad vibrations, good vibrations...

Playlist
Music by
Alice Cooper; Brian Eno; Bryan Ferry; Cockney Rebel; David Sylvian; Dio; Fehlfarben; Mott the Hoople; Neu!; Roxy Music; The Beatles; Uriah Heep
Yes – Philadelphia 1979 (DVD)
Various – Recent Jazz Albums on Shuffleplay

Took out the Rock & Pop Jukebox today and selected 60 of my favourite artists and set them to Shuffleplay, hearing tracks by a dozen or so of my “chosen ones”...

Meanwhile, my OCD aided me in my music making...

For the last couple of months I have been hearing a strange vibrating noise coming from our neighbour’s house...

It lasts for around 30 seconds then disappears for a minute or so, then comes back on – kind of like a fridge or something, which needs to keep switching itself on and off, even when no-one’s there...

Of course this drives me mad and I find it hard to spend any time in a room which adjoins their house...

And, of course, Anne can’t hear it so she thinks I am going mad...

So, tonight, after shredding around six months worth of documents which could be used to steal our identities if they ended up in the bin – it took around 50 minutes – I know this as I was watching my “Yes Live in Philadelphia 1979” DVD as I shredded – I set up the mic and mixing desk in the music room and put the mic to the adjoining wall...

And so, I managed to record the sound to prove to Anne it exists – so now, at least, she believes me – however, she says it isn’t loud enough to complain to the neighbour...

Of course, I’d just like to bring it up in conversation, just to actually know what the hell it is that’s making the noise which I can’t help hearing – especially when I wake up first thing in the morning...

Anyway, how did this help my music?

Well, after recording the sound of our neighbour’s machinery, I recorded a quick instrumental run through of the new song – the only song so far of 2008 and, indeed, my first since “Waiting to Die” in April 2007...

And it sounds good – classic CBQ melancholy of course...

So that cheered me up...



At 9 we watched “Amelie” on FilmFour – what a tremendous, uplifting film – and, to make it even better, several scenes were shot in areas we’ve just been to in Paris, such as at Montmartre, around Sacre Coeur and in St Germain along Rue Moufftard where, just a couple of weeks ago, we were breakfasting...

After that, I left Anne to tonight’s “Coronation St” and retired to the PC room to write this whilst listening to some kicking jazz...

Life is good, despite being a bit mad...

Highlight of the Day : Amelie

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Re: Neighbour Noise. Even the slightest hint of life within 100 metres sets me off. I might hear a cough, a car door shut or a strangers cat (ie not one of mine) pad over the shed roof but that's me for the rest of the night... on edge... muting the tv every gust of wind. It's a disease. I'm with you.

So... I moved to the country. It's cheaper to do so here (nz) - at least it was until petrol turned to diamonds.


Paddy McAloon - I Trawl the Megahertz.

Should sit well with you.

Allez...

Anonymous said...

We stumbled across the rue moufftard on last October's visit to Paris too. What a foody heaven. We fell in love with it and will be going back. Have you been to the Canal St Martin too? It's another favourite area.

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

Anonymous - couldn't agree more - ever since really bad neighbour experiences in our previous place (which led us to move), I am tuned into any extraneous noises - hence I always go to sleep with my headphones in...

Lindsay - Moufftard - top spot - we went past the canal on the Metro at the point where it takes to the surface - but we never experienced it "first hand" - maybe next time?

Anonymous said...

It's really worth a visit - put it on your list - great independent shops, bars, restaurants and a few low key celeb spotting opportunities....