Friday, November 10, 2006

Mizzdrizz...

Playlist
Dream Theater – Score
Mozart – String Quartets
Haydn – String Quartets
Dream Theater – Octavarium
Paisiello – Piano Concertos
Dream Theater – Singles 1992-2005 (CD-R)
Jakko M. Jakszyk – The Bruised Romantic Glee Club
Johnny Griffin – A Blowin’ Session
Mahavishnu Orchestra – Birds of Fire

A better sleep again and a slight improvement in pain today – in fact I got away without taking any painkillers until the early evening...

Many thanks to everyone who's sent me best wishes re the arm - it probably seems worse from my descriptions here than it really is and pales into insignificance when I think of what other people are going through right now...

Anyway, this morning I finally got round to starting to copy Dr Prog’s set of Haydn’s String Quartets – 21 discs in all, and I've managed to burn 8 so far and to collect the cover/track info off the net to avoid having to scan it all...

After the last couple of days being spent mostly in the world of jazz, today it was mainly classical and prog-metal...

A true autumn day - miserable drizzly rain outside - and once again I stayed inside all day - other than a brief visit to Anne’s mum’s on Sunday, I’ve not been out of the house since coming home from hospital last Saturday...

In the afternoon, whilst surfing Wikipedia’s entry on Dream Theater, I came across a discography of their singles which lead me to burn a “Singles 1992-2005” Dream Theater compilation...

This really is a great band of very interesting and accomplished musicians...

While Anne spent a couple of hours on the Hearts' fans message board, keeping herself up to date with the latest rumours, I listened to the newly created Dream Theater disc, followed by an album I received in the post recently from Robert Fripp & King Crimson's webmeister, Sid Smith...

Sid writes reviews for a living and you can tell that when you read his very eloquent piece on "The Bruised Romantic Glee Club", a double CD by Jakko Jakszyk, here - for my own part I can advise this to be two excellent sets...

The first contains some fine songs and instrumental pieces from JJ, which tell stories from his life so far...

The accompanying second disc comprises, in the main, cover versions of songs and pieces he grew up with, including two covers of the mightly King Crimson and a couple by the band Henry Cow - probably the first time anyone's ever covered any of their songs...

Recommended for any prog fans out there - or even if you're just looking for some interesting music?

It features guest appearances from Robert Fripp, Mel Collins, Gavin Henderson of Porcupine Tree, Danny Thompson, Hugh Hopper from Soft Machine, Dave Stewart from Hatfield and the North, Level 42's master bassist, Mark King, and two more Crimson alumni in drummer Ian Wallace (also of the Crimson Jazz Trio) and Ian MacDonald (for his sins, a founding member of Foreigner). OK maybe I've over-egged the pudding there...

Get it if you can though...

The rest of the night was spent in front of the box, “Coronation Street”, “Tonight – Ryan Air”, “The Simpsons”, “Have I Got News For You”, “Not Going Out”, “QI” (x2), “Supertramp In Concert”...

This last comprised five songs played over 30 minutes and was originally broadcast in 1977. I remember selling bootlegs of the soundtrack to other students when I was at Edinburgh University at the time...

The concert was pretty poor I have to say – though I remain a fan of the 'Tramp...

Gave the piss-poor Jools Holland a body swerve and headed for bed to the strains of Johnny Griffin's classic "A Blowin' Session" which features John Coltrane and the superbly raucous in places Mahavishnu album, "Birds of Fire" - a tasty way to end the day...

Highlight of the Day : Staying in in the warmth while it was miserable outside...

1 comment:

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

I think I did get that somewhere, somehow..

Thanks Ms L