Sunday, November 26, 2006

The Blue Nile II....

Playlist
Sarah Harmer – Sarah Harmer (CD-R)
Girls Aloud – Various tracks
Various –Music from “Dawson’s Creek”,”Smallville” and “The OC”
The Blue Nile – Tinseltown in the Rain (Best of CD-R)

“Slept in” till 8:40..

Then to the PC to burn a better version of the Sarah Harmer compilation...

And search for anything by Girls Aloud which I don’t already have...

I was inspired by their performance of their new single “I Think We’re Alone Now” on “Strictly Come Dancing” last night. Be aware that I did not watch this show – rather Anne advised me of the lovely quintet’s presence and I watched merely for the three minutes or so of their storming routine...

The song, in its original form as sung by The Rubinoos, was a staple at our St Mary’s Street parties in 1979/80. Many prefer the later, to my mind, inferior hit by Tiffany...

I garner a few tracks by the group but not their new single – their last, “Something Kinda Oooh”, is an instant classic to my ears and does make it on to the hard drive...

Anne vetoes a breakfast out of the house as we’re off tonight to see Paul Buchanan of The Blue Nile and will have a meal beforehand...

So it’s breakfast at home and I listen to the newly burned Harmer CD whilst I prepare it...

Thereafter we head out in the car (I’m still unable to drive) and I buy a couple of new pullovers and a scarf...oh, and a pair of slippers – ah yes the exciting life of a musician slash artist...

Back home and some of Anne’s lovely home made sweet potato and coriander soup – tasty...

Then she listens to the sport on the radio and I fire up Limewire and decide to search for people via the term “Canadian Female Singers” on Wikipedia and find a few which have had tracks featured on “Dawson’s Creek” – a programme I never watched but one which used music which is to my liking – so I searched based on that, then based on “Smallville” then based on “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” then based on “Due South” and, finally, “The O.C.”....

Also searched for “TV on the Radio”, a suggestion from Lancashire lad and CBQ fan, Craig Harding...

In all, I must have downloaded over five hours of music. In total, over the weekend, I have gleaned 167 tracks via Limewire...

In the evening it’s out for a nice pizza at Dario’s on Lothian Road and then to the Usher Hall for Mr Paul Buchanan...

An absolutely delightful and sublime performance – possibly better than when we saw him in Glasgow earlier this year. His performances happen so seldom that I had to grab this chance with both hands and we ended up in the front row of the balcony (sorry, Grand Circle) round at the side – the Royal Box of old, one might say...

The audience was just the type I like – a respectful silence during every song and rapturous applause at the end – there was also, as there has been at all Blue Nile/Buchanan concerts I’ve attended, a goodly amount of “banter” between performer and fans...

However, I have a question for the chap sitting behind me and to my left...

You pay almost £30 to see a performer, presumably one of your favourites, given the outlay and your proximity to the front, a performer who has been known to spend ten years away from the limelight...

So, do you:-

a) Ensure you have carried out all possible ablutions before the commencement of the set, whilst limiting your pre-gig liquid intake to a level which will not cause pressure on your bladder at some point during the all-too-brief performance or

b) You drink so much before the gig that you have to spend 10 minutes at the bog?

You’d think “a” wouldn’t you? Wouldn’t you???

What an idiot!

We listened to The Blue Nile in the car on the way home, extending the enjoyment, albeit artificially....

The evening was rounded off with a recorded “Match of the Day 2” following which I saved every photo on our hard drive to a DVD and burned a quick “Dawson’s Creek” type soundtrack, which I sampled in the comfort in my bed...

A good day...

Highlight of the Day : Paul Buchanan

No comments: