Monday, November 13, 2006

Olfaction, memory, Mozart and Creek...

Playlist
Various - Jukebox Shuffleplay All Tracks
Various - Jukebox Shuffleplay Classical Music Only
Vivaldi - Cello Concertos
Mozart - Violin Concertos

A quiet day today - went uptown and ended up in HMV struggling not to buy any CDs, despite not really getting to know the majority of the last 100 I've acquired and which sit on the living room shelf...

And so I rejected Shostokovich's "Chamber Symphonies", which are arrangements of several of his string quartets for a small string orchestra - I once heard the Scottish Chamber Orchestra play his Op 110a and immediately bought it on CD - lovely stuff. And today I also rejected a 3CD set of his Concertos, piano, oboe, violin etc etc...

What I did purchase though was a 4CD box of Vivaldi's complete Cello concertos by Ofra Harnoy and the Toronto Chamber Orchestra and a two disc set of Mozart's Complete Violin concertos...

Of course, before buying these, I should have checked at home to see if I already have these but I couldn't wait...

And back home I discover, of the 25 Vivaldi works I have only 3 or 4 already. And the Mozart?

Well it seems I already have a 3CD set of his violin concertos...

Not to worry...

I see from my records that I bought the previous set way back in November 1990 - I remember it well - it was from Tower Records in Glasgow - I worked through in the West at the time and Tower opened till midnight every night...

I would often spend a few hours browsing after work before driving home - I used to love the smell of the place....

According to Wikipedia, "Odor information is easily stored in long term memory and has strong connections to emotional memory. This is possibly due to the olfactory system's close anatomical ties to the limbic system and hippocampus, areas of the brain that have long been known to be involved in emotion and place memory, respectively"....



So there you go...

In the main, Tower's pricing policy was horrendous - (and got worse as time went on - I read recently that the Company has gone down the pan) but I would often pick up the odd bargain in their classical dept, which was on the top floor and more often than not, deserted...

Happy days...

Tonight Hearts can only draw away at Falkirk and there's a crisis as usual for Anne as their captain is dropped from the squad...

Two episodes of "Coronation St" air during the game so Anne watches and listens to the game on one earphone at the same time - she's dedicated...

And now some music news - this is, after all supposed to be the blog of a musician and artist i.e. me...

With Cloudland Blue Quartet in mothballs at present (due to no guitaring and no gigging - but with enough new tunes for the mooted 2007 song album), some new e-mail correspondence from fellow Creek-er Stu Cobley and discussions during Count Brodski's recent visit, point to a full blown Creek project early in 2007 - the first since our aborted EP of summer 2005 and our album in late 2004 (which is brilliant and which you really ought to buy)...

If you've forgotten what Creek is, I can advise that we are an "Electronic Improvisational Quartet"...

The last episode of the current series of "Spooks" was a cracker - I'm almost finding myself wishing my time away so the next series starts as soon as possible...

And I finish off the evening with some lovely Vivaldi and Mozart...

Highlight of the Day : Spooks - it had to be...

No comments: