Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Blues averse....

Playlist
Robert Fripp – Starlight Evensong (CD-R)
Laurie Anderson – Talk Normal (2CD)
Various – Greatest Hits of 1972
Haydn – Symphony 22 “The Philosopher”
Haydn – Symphony 26 “Lamentatione”
Haydn – Symphony 53 “The Imperial”
John Mayall – Bluesbreakers
Brian Eno - Here Come the Warm Jets

Wasted some time tonight watching Aberdeen v Hibs – dragged myself away at half time to exercise the shoulder whilst listening to some Haydn symphonies...

This morning, Mr Fripp’s soundscapes accompanied my breakfast while Laurie Anderson made a bus journey palatable...

No music as I wandered around Virgin and HMV again today but I finally relented and plugged into the Greatest Hits of 1972 – Elton, Glitter, Stewart etc etc...

I wonder how much longer there’ll be big music stores on our high streets?

Not much longer methinks but I continue to enjoy browsing there more than browsing online...

Looking (but not listening to) Glenn Gould's 4CD set of Bach's "Well Tempered Clavier" reminds me that playing live is a waste of time and effort...

Thanks Mr Gould...

Sid Smith’s round up of the year leads me to John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers....

Now, if you know me well, you will know that I hate the blues...

This album is ok though I suppose. I confess, I only have two blues CDs out of 4,500, this one and one by John Lee Hooker. I do also have “The Best of Ray Charles”, but some say that’s jazz (not me - I think it may be my third blues album)...

I can never listen to the whole of a blues album though, I always have to turn them off due to their total predictability, chord sequence-wise...

I do however acknowledge the debt to the blues owed by much of the music I like...

And so, tonight, my palate is cleansed by Captain Eno’s debut solo album from 1973, “Here Come the Warm Jets”...



Here they come indeed...

Grand...

Highlight of the Day : A little bit of this, a little bit of that...

No comments: