Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Never hip...

Playlist
Various – Pitchfork Collection (3CD-R)
Frost* - Milliontown
Grandaddy – Just Like the Fambly Cat
Adrian Belew – Side Three

Hurrah – out today – and walking around would you believe?

However Anne is now back at work following the holiday period – even though she is nowhere near 100%...

Today I put £36 into my Ridacard, headed into town and promptly lost my card by accidentally flicking it out of my pocket while trying to see how long there was left on a track by Frost* (the asterisk is part of the band’s name)...

Listening to this 2006 Prog Rock opus puts all the Pitchfork stuff into perspective...

I realise I can never be hip...

Whilst the latter is, in places, charming and shiny and new – in general terms the tracks are made by people who really can’t play their instruments all that well and have little understanding of how music works...

Frost* on the other hand know exactly how it works and can play their instruments like billy-oh – making for a much more interesting listen for me...

Having said that, I’ll stick with the hip stuff because there is a place for it...

Unlike Frost*, when listening to Pitchfork, I find myself saying, “maybe I could do something like that”...

Anyway...

I paid £5 for a replacement Ridacard and, having eschewed all tempting offers at the HMV sale, made my way home on a horrible cold and blustery, rainy night...



A new CD (purchased at the end of last year on e-bay) Adrian Belew’s “Side Three” had arrived and I gave it a first quick, cursory listen..

I am afraid to say the rest of the evening was spent entirely in front of the telly:-

Expedition Borneo (it was on while we ate...)
Coronation Street
Holby City (I got sucked in...)
Torchwood (excellent series-concluding two parter – I will be back for the next series)
The Old Grey Whistle Test Story (took me back to the days of my youth)
The Whistle Test Years 1971, 1972, 1973 (recorded most of this for later viewing once the task of taping tonight’s first to episodes of Series Three of “Desperate Housewives” had been completed)..

Christmas is over...

Highlight of the Day : OGWT probably...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey buddy, happy new year n' all. Doesn't sound like a great start to 007 for yourself n' Anne. I disagree with said comments about Pitchfork, some of the bands were ok when i was downloading last year. Two or three anyway. Ok maybe just the J Masics stuff. I was forced to watch Torcwood last night as nowt else tickled my fancy, didn't understand it when i watched the first one and still don't. Bizarre and far fetched even laughable when the large devil beast came out of the sky!! Looks like Mr Torchwood himself was whisked away by Dr Who's tardis, bizarre and far fetched even laughable. Just like celeb BB!!

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

I like the Pitchfork downloads, don't get me wrong - but I need a certain level of musical competence sometimes too - hence my love of prog rock

Re Torchwood - I thought it was pants at first but grew to love it - I agree re the big monster though (Abaddon)

Anonymous said...

Yes he was a bad one, (boom, boom!!)