Saturday, January 06, 2007

Blind...

Playlist
Various – Trance Nation Anthems
Ferry Corsten – Aria Montreal 15/4/05 (CD 1)
Schubert - Octet
CPE Bach - Concertos & Symphonies
Heaven 17 - The Best of Heaven 17
Miles Davis - Circle in the Round

Listened to some Trance music this morning – I like Trance music, especially Ferry Corsten..

After a late breakfast we walked to the bus stop to go into town. We needed a new toaster...

We sat at the front upstairs and, a couple of stops further on, it seemed a guy got on who was having a mobile phone conversation...

However, a few minutes later, smelling cigarette smoke, I looked round to see him right up the back of the bus, swigging from a can of Special Brew, smoking a roll up and carrying on a conversation with himself rather loudly...

Rather than confronting him, we just went downstairs. However his behaviour must have become too much for someone else as, a couple of stops further on, the driver stopped the bus and went upstairs and asked him to get off – which, to his credit, he did with very little bother...

He was obviously mentally ill in some way...

In Debenhams on Princes St we found the toaster of our dreams...

Then to Boots where I bought a pair of reading glasses so that I can see the small print on my CDs...

At 12:30 we made our way to a little Thai restaurant in Thistle St, Dusit, for lunch and very enjoyable it was too – we shared a thai red curry with beef and stir fried chicken and vegetables in a plum sauce...

Then we split up as Anne went round her shops and I went round mine...

I finally spent the £10 FOPP token, purchasing Miles Davis' 1979 compilation of previously unreleased tracks, “Circle in the Round” and “The Best of Heaven 17”...



Bearing in mind my stated aim of restricting myself to ten CDs per month, I should’ve left it there...

But no. I had to go to the other FOPP and to Avalanche....

Success – I found nothing...

However, the bus I got from up there was one from which I had to change at Princes St and I alighted opposite HMV and couldn’t resist going in...

I went upstairs to the classical dept and a load of new stock had obviously been added since the last time I was there...

Using some of the money my mum gave me for Xmas I bought the following:-

CPE Bach - Concertos & Symphonies (£3)
Schubert - Octet (£3)
JC Bach - Quintets & Sextet (£3)
CPE Bach & WF Bach - Symphonies & Concertos (£3)
Glass - Piano Music (£3)
Glenn Gould - A State of Wonder - The Complete Goldberg Variations 1955 & 1981 (3CD) (£5)

And so I have now already acquired 10 CDs in January and it’s only the 6th – and that’s not counting the 3CDs of downloads from the ultra hip Pitchfork site...

I realise that my problem is that I just cannot resist what I perceive to be a “bargain”...

All the music I have bought today is, in my eyes (or to my ears), “good” music and well worth £30 in total. The trouble is, I will probably listen to it all the way through just once and then it’ll meld into the library...

But it remains available to me should I wish – for example, the Trance music I was listening to this morning probably hasn’t been out of its box for well over a year...

I started listening to the new discs as soon as I got home - and used my first-ever specs to help me read the sleeve notes...



Old codger...

TV highlights today were the last episode of Series 2 of “Desperate Housewives” followed by the first of Series Three – both on tape...

Finished off the day listening to my new CDs before watching “Sportscene” (with the headphones on as the listening continued) featuring all the goals from today's Scottish Cup games, including Stranraer 0 Hearts 4 and Dundee 1 Queen of the South 1...

Highlight of the Day : Rediscovering Heaven 17

No comments: