Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Forced to wander...

Playlist


Up late and looking forward to a day of just staying in...


September away...


Breakfast...


...andto the machines - until the question from Annie "When are you leaving?"

I'd completely forgotten I was to take the car to Arnold Clark for its service today...

So, while Anne headed to Zumba, I drove over to Portobello and dropped the car off...

I was forced to wander - either that or over an hour's journey back home, only to have to come back via another over an hour bus journey later on...

So, firstly, into Portobello at 10am...


A wander around all the chazzas here but nothing purchased - like yesterday, I noted a few things to investigate later - here some string quartets...


...and Mojo comps...


Then, a bus into Edinburgh...


...and into Avalanche for a mooch...

Again, I noted a few tings - got a Laub LP last time I was here...

Both of these were nabbed back home but are, as yet, unplayed...



This looked interesting...

Back home it was found to be good and was painstakingly recreated track by track as it's not fully available anywhere to stream...

Playing now as I type... 


I passed on this...


More Laub - once again, found online...


...as was this...


This was rejected...


This was found later to be good...


This one? I'll never now - couldn't find it anywhere later on...


This was also found later to be good...


Again, a no show online...


Found later - bound to be good - he's from Bergen...


Put this back too but found it later...


Also noted a new Rezillos LP of which I was unaware...


...and a Sex Pistols comp I'd not seen before...

This pic led me later to partake of the 40th anniversary of their only real LP plus the reasonably recent set o their US tour recordings...


Lunch from Sainsbury...


And, yes, I did actually buy some things at Avalanche...



This as it was engineered by Phill Brown, Talk Talk's engineer - who we met once back in the day...


This as it's on Kranky - there's a catalogue inside which made me think of a project to find all Kranky releases...


And this as I bought 2 CDs by this German band last time I was in Avalanche and they were very good indeed...


Accidental pic of my table in the mall...


Then, a walk through Waverley Station...


...and to the Fruitmarket Gallery for an exhibition of sculpture by Irish artist, Eva Rothschild...


I will let the pictures do the talking but there's much info on her website...

The blurb...

"The Void Presses The Wall is a major exhibition by London-based Irish artist Eva Rothschild, whose work grows out of a commitment to sculpture’s capacity to create bodily encounters in space. 

Her sculptures are born of the city and redolent of the urban landscape. Some, cast or constructed in bronze, plaster or steel, are supported on plinths, ‘behaving’ like sculptures ‘should’, while others stretch, twist, balance, or form whole environments in concrete, polystyrene, cotton and canvas that the viewer must negotiate. 

Her work creates a constant push-and-pull of the power dynamic between audience and object, drawing attention to how we occupy space.

Supported by the Henry Moore Foundation, and the generosity of the Eva Rothschild Supporters’ Circle."




























More upstairs...














Some other things...


This inspired me at the time, to make some cash...

It will come to nothing, no doubt...


Out and some pics from the environs...







To St Mary's St...


 ...undergoing the same work done over 30 years ago, which, basically, destroyed our first Record Shop's business...


...which was in this lovely wee shop...


...opposite the Waverley Bar, where Mr Quartet has played many a time...


I popped in...


This taken from the spot where I spent a number of years watching people look through our record bins and CD displays...



Many of my recordings were made down in the basement - which looks a bit better now than it did then...




The beast was back in its corner...


...and a scone was enjoyed...



A good warning...



One last pic...


...and out...


Down past number 32, where I lived between 1979 and 1980 during the first iteration of Capital Models and where I was first Executively Produced by the Exec Producer...


The street from below...


Round in Blackfriar's St, in Slow Progress, the LP the current iteration of Capital Models continues to try to learn...



A further walk, up Infirmary St, over to Richer Sounds and into the PDSA where two more CDs were found...





A bus for one stop for a wee rest - I did not go all the way to Edward Spark's in Gorebridge...


Nothing further found on my trawl around here...


Then, to our erstwhile second record shop...


...where much of Creek and Crazy Wisdom's music was recorded...


Then, a walk through the University buildings...



And a look into Teviot Row, the Student Union when I was here almost 50 years ago...




Along to Greyfriars...


...and a few more things found...



Paul Simon's son - sounds like Paul Simon...


..and features Steve Gadd on one track - I'd said to Dr Prog on Monday that if I see Mr G on the credits I will usually avoid due to boringness (e.g. Steely Dan)...

I did not notice his presence till later...


An unknown to me composer but, you know, the Ardittis...


A Squarepusher I have but the 20th Anniversary special with a 2nd CD...


...and a Jlin disc of which I have a download...


as I exited ths shop, at last a text from Arnold Clark - they had started work on the car...

It was 15:39...

Two buses back to the garage to wait...


...including a stop at the colonies...



Arrived at 16:26...


Gratis coffee hardly made up for the fact that I had not been told of services they offer...


Collection and Delivery would have saved me what was now almost a whole day of waiting around...


I also wasn't told about "waiting appointments" where they do it while you wait - basically, giving you priority...

Fucking Arnold Clark...

As I said last year, at least Arnold is dead so that's something I suppose...

At 17:35 I finally left the forecourt...


...and home at 18:20...


...for fishcake, beans and chips...


It was the last day of September...


Telly entertained and there was a nectarine later on...


...along with sourcing all the music I saw today but didn't buy...


A new thing came out of nowhere...


Around 10pm, I went to my Instagram account (which I don't use) to view a "reel" by a chum on BlueSky...

I then "doom-scrolled" through my Instagram timeline and was, frankly, amazed and, indeed, appalled at the unending pile of pish which the algorithm was serving up to me...

So, I doom scrolled again and, this time, recorded the scroll - a 21st Century "cut-up" if you will...

The results were shared with Edward Spark, advising "That's just me scrolling through the absolute shite that Instagram puts in my feed. We're fucking doomed!!!"

Edwardo reverted with "Haha that's wild 😂. You gonna put a tune to it?"

Hmmm...

At 22:37, the results were sent to him via Dropbox...

13 minutes of fun...

"This Is Tomorrow"...

Highlight of the Day: Wandering around town...

Today's New Music:

No comments: