Friday, June 19, 2020

Listening to me 37 years ago and playing Elvis for my mum...

Playlist
Bruch - Violin Concerto, Scottish Fantasia
The Sixteen - Love's Goddess Sure Was Blind
Sombre Reptiles - State of the Art I & II (Live 19/6/83)
Cloudland Blue Quartet - Covers 2015
Lauge - Oceanography
Keith Tippett Group - You Are Here...I Am There
Antoine - Je reprends la route demain
Yes - Yessongs
Elvis Presley - If I Can Dream: Elvis Presley with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

Slept in again...


Today's classical work - Bruch's Violin Concerto - one of my early faves from my dad's LP, "The World of Your Hundred Best Tunes : The Top Ten" from around 1970..

The recording on that wasn't this, as it was made in 1972 - bought in a charity shop in Dunfermline in April 2019, while there for a prog fest with Dr Prog, I recall..


Nice...

Downstairs, Anne's painting is nearing completion...


Still life with fruit...


Still life with toaster...


Still life with crow I...


Still life with crow II...


This morning, I enjoyed a listen back to a live recording I made on this day in 1983...

Then some solo cover versions from 2015...

Then, a couple of downloads...

Keith Tippett's debut solo LP - top notch - and, from this, it's easy to see how he influenced King Crimson on both "Lizard" and "Islands" - of course, he played on the former...

New to me ambience from Lauge followed - also top notch...

Then, the four tracks I've been able to find from a 1967 LP by the "French Bob Dylan", Antoine, which I once owned - found it again in the "white book" of "records I owned as at 1988"...

At lunchtime, a tasty treat...


...accompanied "Father Brown"...


A good part of the afternoon was spent in the company of "Yessongs" - my random LP of the day today...


...following on from the downloading last week of the "Progeny" box set of late 1972 concerts, which comprise the recordings from the tour from which the majority of the 3LP set is taken...


For the record, it seems the recording locations were as follows...


19 and/or 23 February 1972 at the Academy of Music in New York City, New York – "Perpetual Change" and "Long Distance Runaround"/"The Fish (Schindleria Praematurus)", as suggested by the band's 1973 Australian tour book...

These tracks feature Bill Bruford on drums and were recorded before the band took a break from touring to record "Close to the Edge", after which Bruford left the band before they went back on the road...

His replacement, Alan White, had just three days with the band's records to learn the repertoire...

Then...


1 November 1972 at Ottawa Civic Centre in Ottawa, Ontario – "Roundabout"

12 November 1972 at Greeensboro Coliseum in Greensboro, North Carolina – "Heart of the Sunrise", "And You and I", the second half of "I've Seen All Good People"

15 November 1972 at Knoxville Civic Coliseum in Knoxville, Tennessee – "Siberian Khatru", the first two thirds of "Excerpts from 'The Six Wives of Henry VIII'", "Yours Is No Disgrace"

20 November 1972 at Nassau Coliseum in Uniondale, New York – "Opening (Excerpt from 'Firebird Suite')", the final third of "Excerpts from 'The Six Wives of Henry VIII'", "Mood for a Day"

15 and/or 16 December 1972 at the Rainbow Theatre in Finsbury Park, London – "Close to the Edge", "Starship Trooper"...


I used to have it on cassette - obviously taped from a friend's copy...


I bought it on 19/5/82, 2nd hand, for £4.99, which is £17.86 in today’s money....

Hence CDs today, with their superior sound, really are such good value...

In the evening, post chicken based salad, to recording this week's podcast...


Prior to doing so though - a call with my mum - I asked her for a request to include and she chose Elvis Presley's "Love Me Tender", with which, following her introduction, I started the programme...

She's now been in hospital for 10 weeks...

She was told yesterday by the head of nurses that it could be another six before her care package is sorted...

She is stoic about it all though...

Would be nice to be able to visit of course but, for now, the daily phone call will have to suffice...

Closed the day with the first two episodes of "Berlin Station", which we recorded in October 2018!

We are already being sucked in of course...

Lights out...

Highlight of the Day : Listening to me 37 years ago today and playing Elvis for my mum...

No comments: