Saturday, December 06, 2008

Careful with that eyeball, Salvador...

Playlist
Various – Rock & Pop Jukebox on Shuffleplay
Kenny Werner – Lawn Chair Society
Coldplay – Prospekts March
Talking Heads – The Name of this Band is Talking Heads
Haydn – A Haydn Celebration 1809-2009
Girls Aloud – Out of Control
Various – Singles 2008 (MP3 CD)
Tangerine Dream - Tangram
JS Bach – Die Kunst der Fuge
Fripp & Eno – Evening Star

Up early and no headache after yesterday despite expectations...

Spent time creating an MP3 file of an hour and twenty minutes of the music presented to me by the jukebox on Shuffleplay, posting it up on the net for download, and writing about it here (see below)...

After breakfast, headed into town on the bus for some Xmas shopping for my mum and for Anne...



Once again, items procured but the list remains unsatisfied due to stock difficulties...

Also popped by FOPP and bought 3 CDs – back in the swing...

Inspired by Sid Smith’s “Three in a Row” feature on his blog the other day re Talking Heads, I bought the 2CD set “The Name of this Band is Talking Heads” which I used to have on vinyl...

This remaster has 15 more tracks than the old double LP...

Next year is the 200th anniversary of the death of Joseph Haydn and I picked up a 2CD set on Harmonia Mundi, celebrating his music...

Finally, I took the new Coldplay EP to the till – they do what they do very well indeed and, seemingly, quite effortlessly...



I know Coldplay are unpopular with many people but I think that’s possibly partly due to their very popularity – bottom line is, I like their music and I don’t care what people think – the involvement of Brian Eno in proceedings is an added bonus of course....

Along to the Fruitmarket Gallery where I took in their “Close Up” exhibition, which included a loop of the Dali/Bunuel film, “Un Chien Andalou” – on Anne and I’s first ever date, I took her to the Filmhouse to see this in a double bill with Bunuel’s “L’Age d’Or” – how romantic...



Up to Avalanche where I bought a disc for £1.99 of Kenny Werner, jazz pianist on Blue Note along with Dave Douglas on trumpet and Chris Potter on sax – top notch stuff and a good find indeed...



Walked on up by the university then back down along George IV Bridge and down to the station to get the bus back home having satisfied myself I’d done all I could to further the Xmas situation...



Back home, Anne was preparing for this evening’s visit from best chum Lynn and her partner Ross while I listened thru the new discs as the sun went down before 4pm...



Went to pick up Lynn and Ross at 7:30 and brought them back...

Home made bruschetta and lasagne with salad – Mmm, mmm...

A delightful evening of chat, laughs and topical discussion ensued, soundtracked by a diverse selection of music ranging from Girls Aloud to Fripp & Eno...



When they left Crispycat Towers it was almost 3 am and, between the four of us, we’d demolished seven bottles of red wine...



Perhaps a headache tomorrow?

Highlight of the Day : Out and about and visitors...

No comments: