Thursday, September 06, 2007

Leisure time...

Playlist
Various – Relaxin’ Blue
Various – Evenin’ Blue
Mozart – Die Entfuhrung aus dem Serail

Up early, we breakfasted at home then walked down to the main street as we were off into town...

We caught an Airport Bus and were soon at Waverley Bridge...

Walked round the corner to the two galleries there – the City Art Centre...



...and the Fruitmarket Gallery...



Our first goal was the retrospective of Scottish abstract art, “Beyond Appearances”...

I loved this – here are few of my favourite pieces on display...



And here’s Anne looking at my favourite...



And here’s a not particularly positive review – not of the art but of the idea behind the exhibition...

Then over to the Fruitmarket for a show by Alex Hartley – again I recommend it...

Before walking round, we stopped at the café for some lovely coffee and cake...




I liked this work too and here’s an idea of what was on show – as you can see Anne wasn’t much impressed...



And here’s a review by the same guy who wrote the one above...

I’d intended visiting the Warhol exhibition while Anne did some shopping but I was all gallery’d out and was under the lure of FOPP...

We split and agreed to meet again in around 90 minutes..

I had CDs in my hand by artists such as Television, Buzzcocks, Bruce Springsteen, Death in Vegas and Turin Breaks as well as compilations of New Wave and Electro/Hip Hop....

In the end though, I broke my vow not to buy any CDs in September, with three Blue Note 2CD compilations, “Relaxin’ Blue”, “Evenin’ Blue” and “Feelin’ Blue”...

I also bought some DVDs – “Donnie Darko”, “Pan’s Labyrinth”, “Amadeus” and two July Delpy films much mentioned in the reviews of “Two Days in Paris”, “Before Sunset” and “Before Sunrise”....

Lunch was a sandwich in Princes St Gardens with the seagulls and the tourists...



Then a 40 minute (!!) bus journey home to the garden for some coffee and some jazz, where I perused the book of pictures of houses I bought at the Art centre along with my book of Blue Note covers, while Anne studied a map of America re a trip next year...



Meg was just Meg and flowers were just themselves...

At 4:30 we drove to the airport to pick up sister Pam who’s up for a few days. Out to Loanhead to see my mum and we enjoyed a Chinese takeaway. A lovely late summer evening...



35 years ago, I used these trees as goalposts...

Up to Penicuilk to sister Sheila’s where we saw grand-nephew Kerr and Sheila’s two boys Andrew and Alastair (with long-term girlfriend, Julie) and tired-after-a-long-walk dogs, Ben and Smudge...



Back home before midnight – a busy day...

Highlight of the Day : Artworks

No comments: