Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Wasting time...

Another bright but cold day today. Here’s a pic of the tower which was added to the National Museum around ten years ago. I like the cut of its gib.



Behind the door today is a disc by San Franciscan art rock band The Tubes. Or rather, of The Tubes, as this is a collection of tracks recorded prior to their first album - demos recorded in December 1973 and live tracks from March and June 1974.

It’s interesting to note that the version of “White Punks On Dope” (probably their most famous song) included here is “fully formed” and almost exactly the same as the version they played when I saw them last December in Glasgow. No wonder they can play it with their eyes closed.

The disc is called “Dawn of the Tubes – Demo Daze and Radio Waves” and I recommend it to any Tubes fan, whilst , if you’ve never heard of The Tubes, I’d direct you initially to their first two albums, “The Tubes” and “Young and Rich” from 1975 and 76 respectively which you can now get together on one disc called “White Punks On Dope”.



One of my favourite bands of all time. More info here http://www.thetubes.com/. They’re set to play Alice Cooper’s Christmas Pudding at the Dodge Theatre in Phoenix Arizona on 17 December.

If I win the lottery between now and then, I’ll be there!!

During the day I visit the library (where I took the photo at the top of this entry) to return the discs I borrowed three weks ago when uptown with Jorg – man, time flies when you get older...

For my listening delight over the next three weeks I now have a 3CD Box “The Time Machine”, a compilation of tracks from the famous Vertigo label – 41 tracks including Colosseum, Black Sabbath, Nucleus, Rod Stewart, Gentle Giant, Uriah Heep, The Sensational Alex Harvey Band, Mick Ronson, Status Quo and Vangelis...



Tonight it’s 5-a-Sides time once again and this time my scientific method of weighting the team selection works. I am in whites this evening and we end up winners by two goals. We are always in front but mostly only ever by one or two goals and blacks are desperately unlucky, hitting the bar a few times, with one shot managing to hit both posts before rolling harmlessly into the arms of the keeper...

Hey, that’s football....

While I played 5’s, Anne was out on the lash with old friend Lynn. After the footie I came home and, out of nothing more than morbid fascination, I watched the Take That documentary for 90 minutes. What an interesting waste of time...

Then drove to pick up the girls and bring them home....

It's taken 62 minutes to write this entry, including surfing the web for Tubes stuff and album cover pics...

Perhaps THAT'S a waste of time...

No comments: