Monday, November 21, 2005

Norman makes my day...

In HMV today I'm looking at all the lovely classical box sets. I like classical box sets. However, I refrain from buying any...

Instead, back home, I look at all the classical box sets I already have...

I don't play any, I just look at them...

And this is just one of the ways in which I waste my time...

On the Out of the Bedroom message board, Norman Lamont has posted a review of "Deeperdown" and it's actually rather good....

Despite the many CDs I've sold at OOTB, this is the first time anyone's bothered to post up a review (I can't complain really though because, while I have many CDs by OOTB performers which I've bought over the last 2.5 years, I've never actually bothered to post a review of any of them)...

Anyway, here's the review - suffice to say it made my day...

"This is very good.

Fifteen songs, catchy and poppy with a superb production. CBQ's been working on this for, well, ages but it's well worth the effort.

The opener 'Love and War' surges in on surging, shiny guitars, and the other tracks follow breathlessly (he's left a much shorter space than usual between the tracks, which is a nice touch), and don't let up till the slower numbers in the middle.

For something that's a one-man production, there's a fine band feel to it and the best feature, to my mind, is lots and lots of backing vocals, both harmonies and oooh-la-la-las, all beautifully executed.

I've always known CBQ could turn out a good tune, but live there often seemed to be a lack of variety in the guitar strums and they didn't come alive to the extent they do here.

Take 'Crocodile Song' for example - if you've ever liked it live, it's worth the (cheap) price of this album for the track alone.

Melody, energy, a sense of fun and great playing.

Highly recommended."


Thanks Norman!

Now hurry up with those reviews of "Through The Day" and "CBQ and JJ at the Roxy" (just joking...)

No comments: