Saturday, May 28, 2005

Saturday Night is Curry Night...

Up at 6:10 today and, for the first time since leaving his house last Sunday, I manage some time to work on Ian Sclater’s CD for a couple of hours but I don’t get as much as I’d like done.

After breakfast, we head into town as Anne’s getting waxed(!!) (I make a return appointment to see the Podiatrist there as, like our car, my toe’s just not getting sorted…) but first we pick up our new £1-from-ebay-Manual Shredder from the Post Restante. The old one broke under the pressure of just one too many pieces of documentation with our personal details on it…

I have a couple of errands to run – firstly I head to Andy Thomson’s flat – you’ll recall he’s my co-ex OOTB committee member who’s going to London on 1st June to see his girlfriend, Kat and to also see the Czars play there. I promised the Czars’ singer at his gig in Edinburgh a few weeks back that I’d burn him a copy of the rare Czars CD I have, which he apparently doesn’t have…

I also give Andy a special Promo 2CD Set containing all the tracks from the Deeperdown EPs – hopefully at least one of the 35 tracks will be worthy of inclusion on his radio show on Leith FM. Andy’s not in as promised so I manage to leave the package with an obliging neighbour.

Then it’s off to Real Foods for some gram flower and tinned chopped tomatoes in connection with the visit to Crispycat Towers tonight of John & Ali of Impossible Songs and OOTB fame. Anne’s cooking her speciality – Indian - pakoras and three different curries. She attended a night class in Indian Cookery about 15 years ago and her pakoras are the best – to say nothing of the curries…

Back home I’m upstairs working when Anne gets back from the waxer. I’m finishing off the next batch of James Jamieson CDs which I’ll pass to Jamie this week at some point – we’re both intending playing at OOTB on Thursday so maybe then.

I also surf the web for the cover art for the Jethro Tull, Asia and Tangerine Dream CDs Dr Prog gave me at the Stockhausen concert last month – he doesn’t have a scanner or printer so he doesn’t “do” covers. It’s the music that matters of course – but they look a bit better now…

I catch a little bit of the Scottish Cup Final – Celtic beat Dundee Utd 1-0 – the scoreline rather flatters the Dundee United side. It’s an emotional farewell for Martin O’Neill, the Celtic coach, as he takes a sabbatical from the game to look after his wife who’s been ill with cancer for some time now.

I make up an 81 hour various artist compilation DVD to play tonight while John & Ali are visiting – that should be enough music to keep us going. I need to load all the tracks individually as our DVD player wont shuffle between albums – only single tracks – so there are around 1,300 different single tracks on this DVD…

John & Ali arrive carrying the biggest bottle of Grolsch we’ve ever seen – it’s still in our fridge waiting to be drunk next time a giant visits our house (or next time I get thirsty for a BIG beer). They are great company – a really funny couple and around the same age as Anne and I so we have a bit in common. Much wine is consumed by Anne and John – and a wee bit by Driver Ali – while I partake of a few of the bottles of Leffe which Bernie gave me at the Karaoke last Friday.

Anne’s pakora and curries go down a treat and we talk for hours about this that and the next thing while the 81 hour DVD plays in the background. Later we listen to some Madredeus as they are curious to hear a band which Anne and I feel are so good.

It’s not too late a night and John and Ali head back to Queensferry around midnight but I stay up till around 2 surfing the net for more CD bargains – I pick up a live Medeski Martin and Wood for £2 – then off to bed after another busy day….

No comments: