Thursday, May 26, 2005

A “lucky” day....

Where does the time go? It’s going to be Saturday afternoon again before I can listen back and work on Ian Sclater’s recordings from last Sunday. Monday – arsing around on e-bay and surfing the net; Tuesday visiting my mum; Wednesday playing and watching football; Thursday Computer updating etc; Friday Madredeus concert – and even then, Saturday night – the long awaited visit of Impossible Songs to Crispycat Towers – for which, during Saturday daytime, muchos preparaziones will have to be carried out…so it’s going to be tight to be prepared for what is now lined up to be an eight hour session with Ian on Sunday.

Tonight Craig Sutherland, webmeister extraordinaire and saviour of the Crispycat Machine, came round to load up and run even more security conscious virus and bug zapping software onto the Billion Dollar Brain – still can’t get rid of that one last “Web Search Toolbar” spyware pishpants though can we?

I’m also now able to use the virtual studio Craig uses at home for his own music and for creating the bedrock of Creek’s improvisations. So there could be a change in the CBQ sound. “Deeperdown” may well be the last album to be recorded with the clunky analog–you-must-play-every-note-every-time-I’m-sorry-no-I-can’t-drop-you-in-there type set up….although it’ll take a lot of work to learn how to use the new software in any meaningful way of course and seeing as I am such a lazy half-wit, all of the above may come to nought.

I rounded off the evening with a quick browse on e-bay utilising my new “just-buy-any-CD-you­-might-vaguely-want-as-long-as-it’s-cheap-enough” formula. I am successful in obtaining a copy of The Tubes’ 1977 classic “Now” and a CD by Ken Hensley, keyboard maestro and main songwriter behind the classic 1970-76 Uriah Heep. OK not to everyone’s taste, but it was only £1 plus P&P…

All is turning out nice again as my new Jukebox arrived today. Despite a couple of hiccups – not remembering where I’d put the battery for it (they don’t send you a new battery) and having to reset it a couple of times, it should be fully loaded again by Saturday morning – 5,000 odd tracks already having been transferred tonight. If this was one of my “unlucky” phases, I’d never find the battery – as it was, just as I clambered onto the bed in the back room (where all my “stuff” is randomly deposited over a number of days, before being tidied up every now and then) in order to try and look down the back of it, my hand rests right next to the elusive battery.

It’s a “lucky” day today…

No comments: