Sunday, May 01, 2005

Science Fiction Sunday...

A bit of a science fiction day today. I got up at 7 and immediately watched last night’s Dr Who episode, “Dalek”. Definitely one of the best episodes I’ve seen. The Dalek of the title turned out to be the last in existence and was being held in an underground alien artefact museum by the “owner of the internet”. In the end I felt sorry for the dalek as it came to the realisation that there was more to life than killing and racial purity, eventually exterminating itself.

After sending out the remainder of the Crispycat Newsletters, we headed for the cinema at the big new shopping mall down at Leith Docks. The whole area is undergoing an amazing regeneration at present and I’m pretty sure a few developers are making a barrow-load of cash. To be fair though, if there can be such a thing, the mall itself is probably one of the best in and around Edinburgh.

We went to see “The Hitch-Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy”. I’d watched the TV series around 20 years ago and so most of what happened was quite familiar to me. The makers are on a hiding to nothing really since so many anoraks want everything to be faithful to the book or the afore-mentioned TV series, while their goal must be to produce a film which will appeal to the millions around the world who’ve not read the book, heard the radio plays or seen it on the TV.

All in all a pretty good effort and quite entertaining, although Mos Def (I think) as Ford Prefect was rather invisible. The girl who played Trillion seemed very nice though.

This was the Director and Producer’s first feature film, in fact the first thing they’d ever done which was longer than a four minute pop video. So well done to them.

In the afternoon (we always go early to the cinema in the hope that there’ll be as few popcorn munching, sweetie wrapper rustling morons as possible in the theatre – it usually works) we watched two back to back episodes of Enterprise with Scott Bakula, who was so good in Quantum Leap around 10 years ago.

In the evening, I rehearsed a set for Out of the Bedroom. The CD singles are ready and I’m definitely going this Thursday. I talked with Jamie a couple of days ago and he told me he’s been along the last two weeks cos he’d read the blog and thought I was going. Sorry Jamie – I’ll definitely be there this week.

I’ll be doing “Love and War” which is apt as I last sang it on the night of the US election back in November and now I’ll be singing it on the night of the UK election….

No comments: