Friday, May 20, 2005

CBQ does Meat Loaf....

No music work again today other than mailing out a few CDs ordered over the net via the Crispycat Website. You can get all my available CDs there plus Jamie’s album and the latest from Creek, Edinburgh’s best electronic improv group – take a look....
(http://www.crispycat.co.uk/inside/music/default.asp)

Tonight I went along to a charity karaoke evening in aid of SANDS, the Stillbirth and Neonatal Death Society. Back in December 2003, Crispycat released a special edition 5 track CBQ CD single in conjunction with the charity and raised several hundred pounds to help raise much needed funds. The Society provides counselling, both immediate and ongoing, to parents who have suffered these tragic losses.

Anne isn’t a fan of karaoke and so, after dropping me off at the Golf Club where the evening was to be held, she went to her chum, Lynn’s house. They were working on turning the trousers she’d had ruined in Antequera back in March (http://crispycat-recordings.blogspot.com/2005/03/antequera.html) into shorter versions (as seen in the Next catalogue) and succeeded admirably.

I knew I had a lot of work to get through tomorrow, what with burning more CDs, both CBQ and James Jamieson, and working on the remaining backing tracks for my fifth session with Ian Sclater on Sunday.

So I only had six or seven Gin and Tonics....

First they had a disco - I don't dance much these days and just stayed in my seat a-drinkin'. However, one of the girls at our table, Wendy, was up like a shot for "Amarillo" and had Peter Kay off to a tea - body stance, facial expressions and stupid marching - hilarious - especially as many of the older ladies on the floor were doing the slosh while Wendy marched around in amongst them!

I got up twice for the karaoke, first to sing “It’s A Sin” by the Pet Shop Boys (last year I did their version of “Always on my Mind”) for which my performance was fairly run-of–the-mill but hard, as the backing track was in the wrong key for me.

Then I sang a duet with another of the girls in our party, Tracey. She’d chosen Meat Loaf’s “Paradise By The Dashboard Light” – apparently it’s one of her all time favourite songs and she sometimes duets on it with her dad – even although he’s colour-blind and can’t actually see the lyrics on the screen!!

I must admit, although I agreed to the duet since no other guy in our party (say hello Ian, Bernie, Gary) would get “on stage”, I couldn’t for the life of me remember how the song went – that is until the music started – then it all came back to me.

We made it through admirably – I was driven along by Tracey's unbridled enthusiasm for the song and suddently had in my head a superb performance by Meat Loaf of this very song on the Old Grey Whistle Test back in, probably, 1978. Just for good measure, I mixed in a few Elvis impersonations – it was great fun and, for what to me was a fairly obscure song, I couldn’t believe the number of what I’d term, “young people”, who were up on the floor for the full 9 minutes, singing along and dancing around like they were Meat Loaf’s greatest fans…and that I was in fact Meat Loaf and Tracey was Ellen Foley.

A second highlight of the night was Bernie winning four bottles of Leffe Belgian Beer and two large Leffe glasses – which he gave to me because he only drinks bottled lager…

Anne picked me up around midnight and after a quick flick through the delivered today June edition of the Wire, it was off to bed with Meat Loaf in my head…..

No comments: