Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Does beer beat music into submission?...I'm afraid so...

Didn’t do anything today really and drinking a couple of pints of Kronenburg Blanc put paid to any chances of my actually working on any music or even just rehearsing my three tunes for OOTB tomorrow night.

I’m getting hooked on Medeski Martin & Wood and bought another of their CDs today, “Combustication”. I feel an e-bay frenzy coming on as I’m tracking a few of their more obscure releases there. Prior to Monday’s purchase I already had a couple of their more recent releases, “The Dropper” and “Uninvisible”. They, Brad Mehldau, Ethan Iverson and Esbjorn Svensson are, for me, taking jazz in a good direction.

In addition to the MMW disc, I bought three 2CD Blue Note Trips, DJ Mix compilations by a Dutchman called DJ Maestro – “Goin’ Down/Getting’ Up”, “Saturday Night/Sunday Morning” and “Sunset/Sunrise”. Very funky but probably a few too many vocal tracks for my liking, because, as you know, there is no place in jazz for vocals!!

The Jukebox is now winging its way back to Creative and a new one should be despatched soon. In the meantime I’m converting new CDs to MP3 on my hard drive in preparation for loading into the new player. Lucky I had all my tracks backed up.

Just received the OOTB review for 05/05/05 back in my in-box, so it’s now been sent to their huge mailing list. It doesn’t look as bad as I’d thought…

And an e-mail from Stewart Robinson (Peri Urban - Periurbanix@aol.com) thanking me for listening to his CD. What does he expect? I'm going to use it as a coaster? It's a good album and he tells me our e-mail correspondence last year partly inspired him to put it all together - that and the enthusiasm of his wife Ali and little daughter, Lily - so where's my Exec Producer credit then... ;-)

No comments: