Monday, May 02, 2005

I love a list.....

It’s my birthday on Wednesday and Anne has put together an ”Itinerary” for next Saturday – so I’m looking forward to that.

As a diversion, I compiled four CDs today each featuring ten tracks, one each from my best 10 albums obtained in January, February, March and April – and here they are (I love a list):-

January
Hank Mobley - Poppin'
Tina Brooks - True Blue
Johnny Griffin - The Congregation
Bartok - Solo Piano Works
Yes - Fragile (Remaster)
Various - Out Of The Blue
Isaac Hayes - The Man
Various - Chilled Out Euphoria
Brad Mehldau - Largo
John Gorka - Old Futures Gone

February
Various - Lennon & McCartney Jazz Collection
Various - Block Rockin' Breaks
Kurt Rosenwinkl - Heartcore
Grand Funk Railroad - Bosnia
String Cheese Incident - Untying the Knot
Jason Mraz - Waiting For My Rocket to Come
Various - 60s Pop Classics
Various - A Snapshot From the 2005 Domino Ten Day
Tangerine Dream - Royal Albert Hall 2/4/75
Beethoven/Schumann - Piano Concertos

March
Yes - Relayer (Remaster)
Andrew Hill - Black Fire
Stars Of The Lid - Gravitational Pull vs. The Desire For An Aquatic Life
Oh Susanna - Oh Susanna
Shivaree - I Oughtta Give You A Shot In The Head
Sigur Ros - Music For Split Sides
Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Alex Harvey - Considering the Situation
Rheostatics - Night Of The Shooting Stars
Mozart - Complete String Quartets

April
Janacek - Piano Sonatas
Various - A Deep Blue Conception
Francoise Hardy - Tant de Belles Choses
Philip Glass - The Civil Wars
Freddie Hubbard - A Soul Experiment
Lee Morgan - Charisma
Vaughan Wiliams - Fantasia on Greensleeves
The Album Leaf - In A Safe Place
Xenakis - Chamber Music 1955-1990
Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick

Tasty.....

...oh yes, and an apology to Beach Boys fans - I've been listening to "Pet Sounds" again and can now pronounce it "not bad"....not great, but not bad - and it may be a case of my ears being influenced by the sleeve notes... still doesn't make my April Top Ten though....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey birthday boy! Hope you are having a good day. You listening to too much class music. I bought a Nina Simone comp last week, she had an amazing voice. You been dissin' The Beach Boys??? I'll have none of that and Brodski will back me up,(ooer!).
Hope you have a great B'Day,speak to you soon i hope.

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

Hey Stu thanks for your good wishes - do you mean I'm listening to too much class music or too much classical music?

Not heard too much Nina Simone I must say (of course, there's no place for vocalists in jazz!!) but I think I prefer the Beach Boys...

Craig's working on some noo Creek stuff so watch out for the call to arms..

Anonymous said...

Hey,hope your birthday went well,did you get me card?
I meant both "class classical music",nothing wrong with it,but don't forget where you came from bro!
Craig and i have been meeting regularly at the Penicuik Athletic home games,(we're second in the league and look like a good bet for promotion this season).He was talking about doing some noo Creek stuff,ten years of Creek next year so if we start now maybe there will be something ready! Keep us posted Mr Blue on the CBQ is doing soon.SHeers.

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

Got your card Stu - tasty. Sounds like Penicuik are the Queen of the South of whichever league they're in - except Penicuik are second and QoS are fourth...so I'm wrong but never mind...