Wednesday, May 04, 2005

My birthday today – hurrah!!

The Fourth of May – the best day of the year (for me anyway)

Most of my presents were money – which is good for someone my age and a lot better than ties, pants, handkerchiefs or socks which is what my dad used to get when he was my age.

Anne’s present was an “itinerary”.

She’s taking me to London for the day on Saturday, flying back on Sunday and says I can choose what we do whilst we’re there. So I’ll be surfing the net between now and then to see what’s on.

Went to FOPP today (for a change, seeing as it’s my birthday) and bought Lambchop’s “Aw C’Mon No You C’Mon” double CD, M’s 2nd album “Official Secrets”, Grand Funk Railroad’s “On Time”, and a double CD set of T.Rex’s singles (A & B sides) from 1972-1977.

The M CD is great. Robin Scott (M), most famous for the single “Pop Muzik”, was one of the first people to make a video album, which he did for this record over 20 years ago. I’ve got a copy on video somewhere but I think it’s on Betamax (ask your parents).

I love Grand Funk. But I don’t know why. There’s just something about them. They’re like an American Uriah Heep – reviled by the critics yet sold millions of records to “the kids” in the late sixties and early seventies. This is from 69/70 and it rocks!

I bought the T.Rex mainly because its red and blue cover reminds me of the old 7” single sleeves Marc Bolan’s hits were issued in. I remember buying them all when they came out and playing them to death. Much the same as I did with Gary Glitter. For me 1972-1974 was the golden age of pop.

My good friend Alan Brodie gave me “Pet Shop Boys – Back to Mine” an excellent double CD of tracks Neil and Chris would play for you if you went back to their respective “pads” after a night uptown. Top Stuff.

Alan’s ex-girlfriend, Julie also sent me a present. “The Best of Laura Pausini”. She’s an Italian pop star (Laura not Julie) – I love listening to foreign language CDs (I can get the gist of the French ones, I can understand the German ones, I get a little of the Italian and Spanish but haven't really got a clue re Portuguese or Dutch) but they’re usually pretty good and Laura has a great voice…

In the evening Anne and I made our way to Henderson’s, a vegetarian restaurant and wine bar which has been in the centre of Edinburgh since the early seventies I think. We shared a bottle of wine here, whilst listening to the jazz guitar duo providing some background sounds for the winers and diners.

Then it was off to Bell’s Diner in St Stephen St, one of my all time favourite restaurants. We had a huge slap up with all the trimmings washed down with another bottle of wine. Then a taxi home. Another great birthday under my (undone) belt….

No comments: