Sunday, May 22, 2005

Back from the dead....and not...

Up at six but today I wisely leave the computer off for a couple of hours and sit hunched over the mixer and recorder in the studio working on last minute changes to Ian’s backing tracks. I also remix a couple of the ones we’ve already finished. By nine I'm ready to fire up the computer and burn the nine backing tracks we have onto a disc.

I wanted to get out to Ingliston market today to try and get some empty CD boxes – I can’t seem to find them anywhere in town at the moment and I can usually get a good deal out there – but I spend so much time on Ian’s tracks I’m behind schedule.

A quick breakfast with Anne and then I dismantle the studio and pack the necessary pieces into the bag to take out with me, grab my guitar and the backing track CD.

At Ian’s, three of the four tracks I’ve worked on are pronounced “great” but not quite what was looked for – either the style’s not right or I’ve messed up the running order re verse/chorus/middle eight etc. The fourth is great – but Ian’s not finished off his lyrics yet!!

Despite these minor set backs we spend a good four hours working on the songs. The hardest part for me is when I get back to the house and have to try and piece various parts together. It’s a challenge though - one I'll face later in the week (by which time I may well have forgotten what we were doing!). So far we’ve only had four sessions but we’ve already made good headway on ten different tracks – another new one was introduced today.

Driving back home I put the radio on in the car for any news of the Hearts game against Aberdeen, believing as I do that Celtic have already won the league by beating Motherwell…turns out Motherwell came back from the dead, scoring twice in the last two minutes of the game to win 2-1. With Rangers beating Hibs 1-0, it meant Rangers had snatched the title away from the ‘Tic. The whole season came down to the last two minutes…amazing.

We go to Anne’s mum’s for tea. Mary always gives me the free CDs she gets with her newspapers and today it’s a good one as it contains the perennial hit “Sugar Sugar” by the Archies – I love that song but till now didn’t have it in my collection.

My sister Pam and my mum are back from their Spanish holiday today so we drive out to Loanhead to see them and my other sister, Sheila, and her husband Andrew turn up too.

We’ve gathered to move furniture and lift the carpet in my mum’s bedroom – she’s having a new one delivered tomorrow.

Despite all the joking around, I’m a bit sad to be doing this as it reminds me of the day my dad died – he collapsed in the bedroom and by the time I got to the house the paramedics were trying in vain to resuscitated him. The last time I saw him, he was already dead and laid out on the bed.

That was a bad day.

No comments: