Up reasonably early...
...and writing this and doing some early morning listening to Alice Cooper - after "Goes to Hell" last night, this morning, I started with "Lace and Whiskey" - another LP which might well sound better now than it did back in the day....
It was Thursday...
...and I was at the machines...
Breakfast today was All Bran and an over-ripe banana - living the dream...
Anne turned down my offer of going somewhere this morning and then me dropping her off at the hairdresser in Musselburgh for her appointment at 2:30 - she could still get the few things on her list from Tesco as, let's face it, Tesco is everywhere...
So, as an alternative, off to Glasgow I went...
9:25, out and down the hill...
9:42 on the bus, up the front with a very dirty window before me...
...but a clear one to my side...
I was soundtracked by some funky LPs from yesterday - David Ruffin, Zulema, Yvonne Fair - guitar on all three by Melvin “Wah Wah” Ragin, one of Norman Whitfield’s favourites...
A swift journey...
A possible LP cover...
I encouraged my "followers" to take a listen to my insanely popular chart-busting (surely that’s algorithmically impossible?) podcasts - because, yes, I was on a bus and I had time on my hands…
But soon, I was in Glasgow...
Out and a short walk for the next bus to Byres Road...
...past the Art College...
The bell I pressed obviously didn't work as the driver barreled on to the next stop and I had to walk back...
But, I was soon about my business, finding one thing in the Red Cross...
And four at Oxfam...
A walk to the next bus...
...which took me up to the Botanics...
..and a further bus back to the town centre...
Lunch was a meal deal from Sainsbury's, enjoyed in Central Station...
...before a further short walk to Missing...
I took advantage of their £1 or 3 for £2 and 50p or 3 for £1 offers - it appears the majority of their classical titles have been moved into the £1 section...
Which is good...
An hour and half of trawling thousands of CDs and I exited with these, for just £10, all told...
Took the shuttle from Central back to Buchanan St...
...to wait for the bus back to Edinburgh...
Boarded...
I've been soundtracking a good part of the last 2 days with this...
It shows how the current Tangerine Dream line up takes the band forward forward in the spirit of the classic 70s trio (Froese/Franke/Baumann) and the late Froese "cheese years" are definitley over...
8 hours of improvised encores from the 2022 Tour of the UK & Ireland...
It’s almost like 8 new Tangerine Dream LPs from the glorious mid 70's...
Anyway, the bus broke down before even leaving the station...
On to another...
...and away...
The journey was spent perusing the covers of today's acquisitions...
...and I was soon at the bottom of the hill, awaiting my seventh and final bus of the day...
Home for ripping and listening...
Today's haul - although I discovered I already have the "Chilled Euphoria" set...
Here they are - total outlay, £15...
Piano music of Liszt, Debussy and Mompou...
Contemporary Australian chamber music...
Three rare guitar concertos, played by John Williams...
All five of Beethoven's Piano Concertos over 3 discs...
Friedrich the Great's 3 symphonies, recorded at Sans Souci in Potsdam...
The line up on this is good but the final thing is ruined by Herbie himself, a Van Morrison soundalike...
Oh well, not all chances can lead to good outcomes...
Penguin awarded Beethoven solo piano over 2 discs from Alfred Brendel...
13th Century songs...
This is good - featuring FKA Antony on a few of the vocals...
Not all Israelis are evil...
This is good but would have been better if he'd left out all the spoken word/band banter from the album...
This is superb - cello music, some with a lovely voiced choir, a Beethoven Piano Trio, Cello Sonatas by Barriere and an Adagio from Respighi...
Probably a little too hard going punk rock...
This, however, is also good, with the caveat that it includes banjo on a few tracks...
Excellent covers of the Stones' 1971 LP...
A disc of, mainly, old blues - annoyingly, the tracks are out of kilter, with the beginnings of the next ones tagged onto the end of the previous ones...
I had to sort that tomorrow morning re my rip but nothing I can do about the CD itself - other than burning a CD-R and that's probably a step too far...
A disc of, in the main, very good 70's funky jazz - with a couple of clunkers along for the ride...
The aforementioned doubler...
And then, 3 CDs (for £1) of top notch Rockabilly - for some reason, I do really enjoy Rockabilly...
Messages from Anne - on her way back from Musselburgh and worried about being late for tonight's football - Hearts v Benfica at Tynecastle - and could I have the tea ready for 6pm...
Let's see...
Why, yes, yes I could...
Expertly done...
A quick episode of "Exploding Kittens" and she was off again - to watch a satisfactory 1-1 draw (should've been 2-1 but for a VAR millimeter offside decision)...
Meanwhile, the ripping and listening continued...
In the midst of which, I released a new Crazy Wisdom EP...
I'd received a text from Malcolm while in Missing this afternoon:
"Any possible chance you can send over a copy of "Angel of Mercy"? Had an incident on the bus yesterday, where a poor woman fell - and it was a sore one!! Me and a few others helped and were there for her. But her special person, her "Angel" was fantastic in comforting this lady in her hour of need - or was it my ego? Probably x"
I said I'd release it tomorrow but I did it a few hours early...
"Crazy Wisdom almost finished studio recordings of two songs, "Angel of Mercy" and "I Am Your World" at The Sound Cafe with David Gray, some time in 1996 but they ran out of money! David had previously worked with the band on "Unseen" and "Nothing Lasts Forever"
Thirty years later, these two recordings are finally released, via this 27 minute EP, along with rehearsal demos of a further four tracks, recorded around the same time
The songs "Harder" and "Nineteen Sixty Something" pointed to the future sound of the band - final versions of both appeared on the 1997 LP "We Live the Foreigner's Life", also available on Bandcamp
Meanwhile finalised versions of "Ocean" and "Once in a While", two earlier songs, will no doubt emerge from the archives in the fullness of time.
For now though, it's good to finally release "I Am Your World" and "Angel of Mercy" and this EP is respectfully dedicated to the memory of master guitarist (and cover star) Charlie Dootson, who passed on 13 November 2008 - his solo during the the final 90 seconds of this EP is absolutely beautiful!"
All ripping and some good listening continued into the night...
Anne finally returned, feeling good about the performance...
Good too that Scotland's Newest Club were ejected from the competition at their own first hurdle...
Now all four Scottish Sides are in the third tier European competition...
Meanwhile, as I listened, some reading...
Bed at midnight...
In case you were wondering, after the previous two days' entries re Capital Models, sadly, it's been a case of Tumbleweeds, as usual, from the rest of the band, despite their having read the posts almost as soon as they went up...
Today's New Music:



No comments:
Post a Comment