Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Bartok and soup, John Carter and Dave...

Cloudland Blue Quartet – Track of the Day
“Thistledown (Outside)” from “Ampersand” (2002)

Playlist
Various – Clubland : Cream
Elbow – Build a Rocket Boys
Young the Giant – Young the Giant
Bartok – String Quartets
Various - Zunior Samplers 16.6 + 16.7
Bidiniband - In The Rock Hall

Another day of little to report – but that’s never stopped me before...

Discovered today that Disney have made a film of "A Princess of Mars" the first in the series of Edgar Rice Burroughs' "John Carter" books - I read all twelve back in the eighties I think - a right rivittin' read as they say...

Anyway, it's called "John Carter" and is out on Friday - in 3D...

I very probably won't see it at the cinema as I don't particularly enjoy the other-audient related aspects of a cinematic visit these days and prefer to wait for the DVD...

Of course, by the time the DVD is released, I've usually forgotten i wanted to see the film...

But this one just might tempt me along to the cineplex on a Sunday morning...

Elsewhere, a bright but bitterly cold, sunny day...



...with, on the way home, one of my favourite telegraph poles...



..and, erm, a tree...



Excellent soup from Anne’s fair hand this evening, followed by some work on Pam’s stuff (itself following on from unmentioned work yesterday)...

Enjoyed Elbow’s last album – notwithstanding the accent of the singer - while music in the evening comprised the mighty sextet of quartets from Mr Bartok...

I love a string quartet...

I must have over 50 single composer discs of quartets and, all in all, recordings of string quartets by well over 120 different composers from Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven and Schubert to Schnittke, Glass, Nyman and Vasks...

Tasty...

A new project might be to ensure I have all the best quartets on my classical jukebox...

Maybe - probably not...

The old SQ is not great most of the time for drowning out traffic noise...

“Law & Order : Criminal Intent” was followed by another discovery...

Upon downloading the latest sampler from Canadian label Zunior, I discovered there's a new album out from Rheostatics' Dave Bidini...

Duly also downloaded for 8.88 of your Canadian Dollars so I could listen straight away, with a physical purchase via Amazon being considered...

Lights out, a year to the day since Pam started her radio and chemotherapy...

Highlight of the Day : Bartok, soup, John Carter and Dave Bidini...

No comments: