Sunday, March 08, 2009

My what big teeth you have...

Playlist
Cloudland Blue Quartet – Soundingfall
Steely Dan – Pretzel Logic
Ferry Corsten – Right of Way
Elliott Smith – New Moon
Various – Flaming Lips’ Late Night Tales

Up at six again and no problems on the PC...

Stormy outside...



Finalised the mix of the new song (for now of course) and posted it up via my online server...

Meg the Black cat was up too and helping out...



In the process of uploading, I discovered my provider, www.4shared.com has upped the ante re its embedment offering, now incorporating graphics – so had to get the new code to update the ““Soundingfall” – Work in Progress” post below...

Commenced transferring Chris-with-a-Ch’s Mybook from my 500GB drive to my 1B drive...

Found that I have the complete Steely Dan discography on there – so I didn’t need to buy their 2CD best of the other week...

Hmmm – it seems I need to carry around lists of what I already have to stop any inadvertent duplicating...

It continued to snow...



...as I copied a couple of discs for Dr Prog, who arrived just after two for our trip to Glasgow...

We drove through snow to get there and endured continuous rain during our visit, which, inevitably, took in Fopp – where I bought a 2CD collection of Elliott Smith, of whose music I have heard but whose music I had not heard...

But that’s not all – I also partook of a compilation selected by The Flaming Lips (which was playing and impressing during our visit) and CD/DVD collection of the Eels – all of the tracks on the CD I appear to have already upon checking – I love Eels’...

And, finally (in Fopp anyway) a DVD of the opera based on St Exupery’s “The Little Prince”...

I also carried around, but eventually put back, a goodly number of other CDs...

With an hour to go before the It Bites gig, we found ourselves browsing in Borders where, in their much reduced music dept, I found a 6CD box of the complete symphonies of Vaughan Williams for just £4.99...

Off I went to the counter fully expecting to be told an error had been made but, no, and I duly handed over a Blue Note...

A snack at the Chicken Cottage...





...and then, paying £20 each to gain entrance, we went into the ABC2...



...and stood right at the front for the entire concert...

Support, the cumbersomely named Amid Concrete and Callousness, were impressive for a band so young and were certainly tight with regard to the performance of their complex pieces...

I was thinking they ought to have worn some sort of uniform outfits - when on came It Bites, dressed all in white...

Seeing their consummate musicianship at such close quarters was superb and their set list contained songs from all three of their earlier albums from 1985 to 1989 and a good five from their comeback LP from last year...

Unfortunately, due to a venue imposed curfew, they had to be finished by 10pm and so there was no encore despite the reception from the crowd...

Last time I saw this band (one of my old favourites and whose original lead singer Francis Dunnery’s career I have subsequently followed since his split in 1990) was in 1989 at the Glasgow Barrowlands and this gig was definitely on a par...

Their new album is superb prog-pop, for want of a better term...

And so back into the car, suitably rocked...



...and off home arriving back at around a very respectful 11pm after hatching a plan for a podcast with music chosen by Dr Prog...

Anne was watching a tape of “Dancing on Ice” so I listened to some of the new CDs before retiring with my ears ringing...

Highlight of the Day : It Bites...

No comments: