Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Out of tune, out of time...

Playlist
Sparks – L’il Beethoven
Sparks – Hello Young Lovers
Saprks – Exotic Creatures of the Night
Cloudland Blue Quartet - Soundingfall
Pet Shop Boys – Fundamental
Tim Scott – Rarely Fall

Out tonight to songwriters’ night, Out of the Bedroom, trying to maintain my presence there since my unwritten vow, back in December, to attend and play again regularly, after a couple of years where I only played once or twice...

The standard tonight was reasonably high, with the usual couple of duffers, of which, I can tell you, I was feeling one by the time I was half way through my second song, my revamped-for-acoustic-performance of “We Drove”, with three, rather than one, different chord sequences...

I was plagued by an out of tune guitar on this and also had trouble playing the correct chords until the final flourish...

My first song, a debut of “Tomorrow or the Day After Next” also had the stuffing knocked out of it for me due to the tuning problem – though I’m sure no-one gave a hoot other than me...

My third, “Blend”, was almost perfect though, as I'd taken the time to retune before starting it, and my confidence returned...

I was followed by the two best acts of the night, The Victorians with a flawless three song set – they put me in mind of a funnier (and just as witty) Divine Comedy...



I was honoured that they used my music stand...

And a real quartet, Mayhew, two acoustics, a cello, and a vocalist who was a dead ringer for Gwyneth Paltrow...



My old buddy James Jamieson was also along though, sadly, not in a performing capacity but it was great to see him again...



A good night...

Highlight of the Day : Performing, even though I was rubbish for 2/3ds of my set...

No comments: