Saturday, February 14, 2009

When morning came...

Playlist
Purcell –Funeral Music for Queen Mary
Cloudland Blue Quartet – Soundingfall
Nico – Drama in Exile
Preisner – 10 Easy Pieces For Piano
Jimmy LaFave – Cimarron Manifesto
Kalliwoda – String Quartets
Kagel/Schnittke – Piano Trios

Track of the Day
Nico – Heroes (6:07)


Today’s track of the day comes from Nico’s 1980’s album “Drama of Exile” which I repurchased on CD just before Xmas but only got round to listening to today...

Anne and I saw her at Edinburgh’s Nite Club on the accompanying tour and her band rocked (while she sat playing harmonium)...

Good times...

Up before seven and moved the work in progress for the new album over from here to the side-bar and wrote up yesterday’s escapades...

A nice breakfast then I was off into town to the music library where I met with Dr Prog – he was on a tight schedule as he was intending to travel to Cowdenbeath this afternoon for their game...

I handed back the Peter Gabriel CD from three weeks ago and borrowed four new discs...

A disc of Kagel and Schnittke Piano trios...

A disc of String Quartets by a Czech composer I’ve not heard of before, Johann Wenzel Kalliwoda, performed by the Talich Quartet...

A disc of piano music by Zbigniew Preisner (“10 Easy Pieces for Piano”)...

And, finally, a disc of alt-country by one Jimmy LaFave, of whom I’d also heard nothing previously but by whom I was enticed by his being on the same label as Lucy Kaplansky...

Dr Prog, amongst other items, borrowed the 29CD box set from Harmonia Mundi, a copy of which currently sits on my external hard drive, awaiting burning...



A coffee at Uncle T’s with Dr Prog and a bit of a natter – a quick visit to Richer Sounds – then the Doc was off in the Prog mobile...

For my own part, I bought 100 blank discs to keep my supplies up and some flowers and chocolate for Anne for Valentine’s Day...

Home in time to let her away to Tynecastle to watch Hearts beat Aberdeen 2-1 while Queen of the South won 4-0 at home to bottom of the table Airdrie in a real six-pointer...

Turned out the Cowdenbeath game was off – hope Dr Prog found out before travelling...

Spent the afternoon adding (or rather experimenting in trying to add) drums and keyboards to a couple of the tracks for the new LP...

Some further tweaking required before publishing...

In the evening Anne was off out with Lynn and her sisters for birthday celebration, leaving me to my own devices again...

This morning, Creek Maestro Craig Sutherland e-mailed through a new MP3 which he had put together specifically as a CBQ project – so I worked on that tonight and a ninth new song, “My Last Trip” emerged...

It’s up for listening/downloading over on the sidebar...

Worked out that today was my 22nd day of work since late September on this new album...

Now waiting on a call to perform my taxi duties...

Highlight of the Day : Queens winning 4-0 and musicking again...

No comments: