Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Bleak...

Playlist
Fripp & Eno – Evening Star
Robert Fripp – At The End of Time
Icehouse – The Berlin Tapes
David Bowie – Pin Ups
It Bites – The Tall Ships
Francis Dunnery - Man

Track of the Day
David Bowie – See Emily Play (4:12)


Ah “See Emily Play” – I didn’t know what Bowie meant in his notes on the LP cover back in November 1973 when he referred to the original artists for this number as “Syd’s Pink Floyd”...

What it is to be young and not yet know your music history...

Icy today - and, just after taking this pic, I stepped off the pavement and almost went arse over elbow...



Both feet off the ground job but managed to land upright although I badly jarred my right knee – just as well I wasn’t playing fives tonight...

After yesterday’s dinner with an economist, today it was a round table with two fund managers and (very young and nervous) economist – much the same messages as yesterday...

The prospects for residential property look particularly bleak..

Peak to trough, if this downturn is the equivalent of the last one, we should see a 55% fall in values from their high point – so far we’re only down 20%...

Introduced a new way of listening (which will probably only last a few days till I get bored with it) – instead of shuffleplay, I just take the first random track chosen by the jukebox and listen to the whole LP...

In the evening the new It Bites CD had arrived from e-bay (all my jazz fusion Network CDs are, worryingly after almost two weeks, still awaited) and I listened to this on the way into town to meet with Dr Prog at The Queen’s Hall for a recital by Simon Smith of piano music by Karl-Heinz Stockhausen...

Let’s just say that there were no melodies present in the 90 minute performance which, at one point, featured Mr Smith playing this Steinway with his backside...



Very entertaining though – I love this (what was in its day) avant-garde music – must’ve been pretty otherworldly hearing it the late 50s or early 60s...

After an entertaining chat in the bar I took the Doc home and he popped into Prog Towers to fetch his Yes Box Set “The Word Is Live” to lend to me – in a kind of tit for tat move re my earlier lending to him of my ELP Box Set...

Highlight of the Day : Out with Dr Prog...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I'm not sure whether the Steinway did ;)

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

Cheers Simon...

Yes, an excellent night indeed...