Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Pause, rewind, play...

Playlist
Various – Hit Singles of 1972
T Rex – The Slider

Track of the Day
T Rex – Metal Guru (2:29)


At lunchtime today, I headed out into the chaos that is Edinburgh’s city centre these days, with the ludicrous instigation of a tram – yes one tram – or one tram line – not a “tram system”, but one tram line - for which we are probably going to end up paying almost a billion pounds...

Anyway, don’t get me started on the trams – sorry, tram...

My soundtrack today was my 3CD-R set of hits from 1972 and Bread’s “Baby I’m A Want You” came on and I thought to myself “that’s actually rather good, why don’t I head along to FOPP and see if that 3CD Anthology of Bread is still there for £4”....

So off I went...

Of course it wasn’t there but my eyes were dazzled by their shiny new £3 offers...

I managed to reign in my enthusiasm for a huge multiple purchase and, instead, came a way with a 2CD set of the best of Steely Dan (of whom I had nothing prior to this – always been a bit too smooth for my liking but, at £3, it’s worth giving them a chance)...

My second purchase was an album I’ve kind of coveted since its release in July 1972,”The Slider” by T Rex...



Of course the two singles “Telegram Sam” and “Metal Guru” (my track of the day today) are the best tracks - and, to be honest, I suspect I already have every track on this 2CD edition already on a 4CD T Rex Box Set (and I already have an illegally downloaded version of the Slider album) but I just wanted to own the package so to speak...

Tasty...

In the evening, to an investment presentation and dinner with colleague Kris-with-a-k at the very posh Channings Hotel...

It seems we’re still going to hell in hand cart but there are glimmers of hope apparently, in that, with interest rates about to hit zero and yields from equities and commercial property probably around 4% and 6% respectively, it might make sense to borrow (if you can) and buy shares and commercial property for what one speaker described as “a free lunch”...

Now, as I enjoyed my free dinner – very tasty wild mushroom and leek risotto with a parmesan crisp, Aberdeen Angus Rib Eye Steak with caramelised onions, wild mushrooms, rosti potatoes and a béarnaise sauce, and some chocolate type desert – it struck me that cheap money and the investment of easily available credit in the period from 2003 to 2007 is exactly what got us into this mess in the first place...

Truly we are doomed to repeat our past mistakes (when I say “we”, I don’t include me by the way)...

Post fabby slap up and mucho vino, Kris and I made our way back up to the town centre over the Dean Bridge....





Caught a No 26 back to Crispycat Towers and promptly fell asleep listening to Mr Bolan and chums on my new Creative Headphones which had arrived from Amazon and which I can declare to be “splendid”...

Highlight of the Day : New headphones...

No comments: