Thursday, February 26, 2009

Chance meetings...

Playlist
Various – Hit Singles 1972
Brian Eno – Instrumental Box
Cloudland Blue Quartet - Soundingfall
Steely Dan – Showbiz Kids
Bob Marley – Legend

Track of the Day
Steely Dan – Reelin’ In the Years (4:37)


Up early and listening to the hits of 1972 again followed by Brian Eno’s textures of sound...

The day was soundtracked in the main by Steely Dan – a lot better than I’d ever imagined...

Anne was off in Fife tonight to watch the final of “Masterchef” with like-minded chums so, rather than going straight home, I decided to walk along to FOPP to see what they might have - and ended up filling a bag with stuff...

Two albums from Elvis Costello, the debut from Siouxsie and the Banshees, a two disc set of the best of The Jam and a three disc box of Bob Marley’s “Legend” greatest hits set which includes the original album, a collection of 12” mixes and a full length DVD...

Also bought a DVD of Abba videos for my mum to watch on her new player, along with the 2DVD set of “Born to Boogie”, the Ringo Starr directed T Rex concert movie and, for viewing some Sunday in the future, “La Vie en Rose”, the story of Edith Piaf...

As I waited at the counter to be served, I noticed someone behind me looking at me weirdly – it turned out to be our erstwhile neighbour, Des, from our old flat in Montgomery Street – amazing that he should still recognise me after 22 years...

We stood and had a good old chat about this that and the next thing – roof repairs, noisy neighbours etc, who’s still there, who isn’t, work, music etc etc – what a very nice man he is...

He’s been made redundant twice in the last three years and is currently “resting”, as an actor might say...

As the nice lady from FOPP announced the shop was closing, I noticed old chum George Coleman taking a DVD to the counter – he just happened to be in Edinburgh for the day as he’d been handing in his car for repairs...

George’s exhibition of his comic book art went well in January and I apologised I’d missed it as we chatted while making our way back along Rose St to the West End where we parted company promising to meet up soon for drinks, even if none of the other old crew might make it...

Back home and a raker of a headache kicked in – probably to do with the excesses from last night and the fact I’d got up at 4:30 this morning....

I listened to some Bob Marley while creating an MP3 of this track by Jacques Brel to send over to Sid Smith after his comment left here on my first podcast...



Before I knew it Anne was home and we settled down to watch “Question Time” but my not-feeling-great-weariness soon got the better of me and I sloped off to bed and was asleep within seconds...

Highlight of the Day : Meeting old friends by chance...

No comments: