Thursday, June 05, 2008

Theatre of dreams...

Playlist
Camel – Lunar Sea : An Anthology 1973-1985
Sparks – Angst in My Pants

Finally got my hands on the Sparks album I bought on 20 April – by taking a bus to Morningside and going to the office of the company that sold it to me on e-bay...

In the evening, out for drinks and then dinner with some colleagues also under the yoke of The Man...

Initially to a new bar at The George Hotel where I discovered one of my colleagues, Willie, is the "biggest Dream Theater fan in the world" – he has thousands of bootlegs of the band and continues to collect them...



You might find this a bit strange but the band never play the same set list twice – unlike others who will do an entire tour playing the same songs in exactly the same order night after night...

Willie advised I was the first person he’d met, obviously of people who are in harness to The Man, who knew who Dream Theater were – he was mighty impressed...

On to The Scotsman Hotel on the North Bridge – which used to be the offices and printing press of The Scotsman newspaper – for a dinner with a Fund Manager – a young Canadian guy who saw my fave Canuck band, Rheostatics, live in concert when he was in College...

The presentation was excellent – in short, we’re stuffed - but investment opportunities remain – in fact whilst writing this a couple of days later, I remember that the Chinese symbols for the word “crisis” also mean “opportunity”...

The meal too was excellent and your correspondent also partook of some of the imbibing opportunities...

A lift home from Raymondo after a brisk walk along Princes St and I was back at Crispycat Towers in time for “Question Time” featuring the gormless boy-child who is somehow our Foreign Secretary...

Then on to “This Week”, the participants in which all seemed to believe that a coloured man can become President of the United States – I think it may seem possible in the heat of his victory in the Primaries but when it comes down to it in November we’ll see...

Watching American politics on news programmes is hilarious – the speeches just sound like lists of soundbites – though if we were able to hear the complete oratory I’m sure there must be some substance in there somewhere...

What a world...

Highlight of the Day : Prog rock discussion in unlikely company...

No comments: