Monday, June 16, 2008

Five minutes away...

Playlist
The Violet Archers – Sunshine At Night
Esbjorn Svensson Trio – From Gagarin’s Point of View
Esbjorn Svensson Trio – Strange Place for Snow

Sad news today as I discovered on the BBC website that Esbjorn Svensson was killed in a diving accident on Saturday...



Only 44...

His group EST along with the Bad Plus, Brad Mehldau’s trio and Medeski, Martin & Wood, for me, form the four pillars of true contemporary jazz and this is a huge loss...

The Bad Plus’ Ethan Iverson’s thoughts are more worthy than anything I could write here...

Last week, whilst in the taxi coming home from Keith’s wedding, we were chatting to his long time friend who was sharing the cab with us and we each had to say something interesting about ourselves – he said he’d once been 30 minutes from death when, after a mountain biking accident, he’d had to have his spleen removed...

My attempted jocular riposte was that we’re all only five minutes from death at any time...

Wherever you are, whatever you’re doing, you could be dead in five minutes...

Indeed, our comedian friend Jim Park recently almost walked off a cliff by accident...

For the record, I didn’t go to the gym, I wasted my evening (even though I could be dead at any time) watching “Coronation St” and football...

Highlight of the Day : The music of Esbjorn Svensson

No comments: