Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Munitions for the 'cong...

Playlist
Donald Byrd – The Cat Walk
Bruford/Borstlap – Every Step a Dance, Every Word a Song
Hank Mobley – Another Workout
Camel – Lunar Sea : An Anthology 1973-1985
Uhersky Brod - “vz.67”

Mr Byrd in my ears this morning followed by Mr Bruford and his dutch pianist chum Borstlap at lunchtime – at which point I made my customary walk to FOPP and bought another £4 Blue Note disc, Hank Mobley’s “Another Workout”, recorded in 1961 but only eventually released in 1986..

Also, noting that I have no Camel in my collection and spotting a two CD anthology for just a fiver, some further classic prog-rock made its way into the library...

Anne was practising her ten pin bowling this afternoon, trying to get back in the swing after around a ten year lay off...

A successful session, including one productive period which produced several strikes in a row – all in all, an average score of around 200 was recorded, which I’m told is good...

Then she was off to see “Sex in the City” with friends...

I made my way home by way of Wester Hailes, giving colleague Caroline a lift to her friend’s flat, then back to Crispycat Towers for some cooking...

No chorizo in the house so my concoction comprised tuna, onion, cherry tomatoes, soya sauce and parmesan cheese – I can advised it was a lot more tasty than it sounds...

Then, out to Secret CDs VII...



...where we were entertained by my old mucker Mr Ian Sclater, playing tunes from “It’s Weird in Here” the album we recorded together in 2005/06...

Ian was followed by a young lady I’d not seen before but who was rather good, Andi Neate...

Then, an accordion and strings based troupe from England, The Beggar Girls – who, unfortunately weren’t to my tastes...

Finally, Mr Scott Renton and chums in the guise of Uhersky Brod – whose CD, “vz.67” also made its way into the collection today – took to the stage to round off the night...

The disc has a superb cover...



James Jamieson joined me in the audience half way through Ian’s set and John and Ali from Impossible Songs were already there when I arrived – good to see all three again after too long...

Anne popped by after her cinema visit and, during the accordion music, we made our way over to the Rapido chippie for some sustenance for her...

As I stood outside taking pictures, who should walk by but Pure Bear and sailor of the parish, Mr Paul Reynolds, who, coincidentally, Anne and I had bumped into in the street last Friday before heading down to the races...

Small World – although, to be fair, we were just round the corner from his flat...

After Uhersky Brod, John and Ali headed off leaving me, Anne, Jamie and Paul at the bar to chew the fat…

Then, lifts home for everyone - with Jamie and Anne voting Camel off the stereo in favour of Uhersky Brod - and back to the Towers around midnight...

Another happy day…

Highlight of the Day : Seeing old chums again

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

'twas a very agreeable half evening with not so old friends. My, how we've grown. Last time I saw young .........

Bought Uhersky Brod's CD and it's on now, neighbours complaining.

PR

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

Aye Scottish Music at its best is bound to annoy the neighbours...