Monday, July 31, 2006

Silent laptopping...

Playlist
Cloudland Blue Quartet - Best of CBQ 1990-1995
Cloudland Blue Quartet - Best of CBQ 1996-2006
Rachel Portman - The Little Prince
Various - The House That Trane Built

Did something today I've not done for a while - I went to FOPP and bought some CDs...

Yello's "Flag", Miles Davis' "The Best of Seven Steps", a compilation of The Best of Impulse Records, "The House That Trane Built" and a double CD of the children's opera, "The Little Prince" based on the book by Antoine de Saint-Exupery, which I first read back around 1975 or 1976, in the original french, and one which remains a favorite of mine today...

In the evening, I met up with Jim Igoe, Nelson Wright and Andy Thomson, the original Out of the Bedroom Committee, round at Jim's place. He's thinking of opening a music cafe in Edinburgh and wanted our opinions on his ideas so far and to have a kind of brain storming session re what might work and what might not...

We had a good time and some good laughs too (Silent laptop concerts in the venue, with a comedy show on the pavement for those looking on) and all in all I hope it was a productive session for Jim...

On the way home in the car, my throat, which hadn't been too bad during the discussion, started to become very sore indeed. I must have left it too long since my last dose of painkillers...

By the time I got home I could hardly swallow...

Took some more pills and watched Scotsport with Anne. Five games at the weekend and, in a 90 minute show, ater 45 minutes they were still talking about Celtic, having shown only their game. Still, they've gotten rid of the audience and the two presenters who didn't know anything about football...

Luckily the Hearts game was next up (2-1 away to Dunfermline - Dr Prog's team) and we watched this before retiring...

Highlight of the Day : Round at Jim's with Nelson and Andy

2 comments:

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

Rose St - it was closer

"The Little Prince" and "Flag" seemed to be one offs - but I noticed on returning home the latter has no booklet. The music's great though - one of my favourite bands since 1980, when I was living in Germany and my friend Jorg gave me their first album, "Solid Pleasure" as a present...

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

I 1980/81 I lived in a small town (Felsberg) around 30 minutes south of Kassel - I was working at the school there as a language assistant...

I still go back from time to time and will definitely be visiting at some point between June and September 2007, as the world's greatest Festival of Modern Art is held in Kassel every 5 years and Documenta 12 comes round next summer...

I attended Documenta 7 in 1982 and Documenta 11 in 2002...