Sunday, July 09, 2006

Fast work...

Playlist
Brad Mehldau – Anything Goes
Various – Trojan Dub Rarities Box Set (Disc 1)
Spring Rolls Quartet – Prague Jazz
Cloudland Blue Quartet – Ten New Songs

Started the day with the one album from yesterday’s spending spree which I’d not sampled yet. Great stuff from Mr Mehldau and his cohorts. I must get round to getting my tickets for the jazz festival...

Made breakfast at home while listening to a disc I bought when we were in Prague in 2001 featuring a bassist (Robert Balzar) whose concert we attended in the smokiest room in Europe...

After breakfast Anne surfed the net and I ran through my set again and decided to record it again, now that I’m more familiar with the songs...

Recorded the guitar parts, including a brand new, just written tune by around 1 and stopped for lunch, after which Anne settled down to watch the Wimbledon Men’s Final and I headed back to the studio to “lay down (man)” the vocals....

By three I had started on some backing vocals and by four, with the nine songs finished, I started to write the new song’s lyrics – it’s ended up being called “The Secret of My Success” and is another fast song – giving the ten I have now a 50/50 split between fast and slow...

By 6:30 I’d finished an acoustic album of one guitar and two voices, around 35 minutes, designed a cover and label and burned and printed...

Fast work...

The World Cup Final followed – France v Italy – and the first half was one of the best of the tournament – I think the Italians just shaded it – I wasn’t worried who won but didn’t really want to see either team lose...

The second half belonged to France but, like so many of the knock out games, no real pressur eon either goalkeeper – the defences were both excellent....

1-1 at full time..

First period of extra time saw a superb save by Buffon from Zidane and France stayed on top, though in the 2nd period, Italy had the ball in the net but it was offside..

Then Zidane was sent off for headbutting Materazzi in the chest in a most unbelievably stupid incident which marked the end of Zidane’s illustrious career ...

To penalties then, which have so often I the past been Italy’s undoing – but tonight they scored all five, while France’s David Trezuguet was unlucky to hit the bar – and so Italy are World Champions...

The pundits bemoaned the fact that there was no really great team on display and that the big names didn’t really take the stage by storm, but there were some great games and I think many of the top teams kind of cancelled each other out....

What now of an evening?

Highlight of the Day : Recording my ten new songs

No comments: