Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Snail fascination...

Playlist
Yes – Magnification
Cloudland Blue Quartet – Nine New Songs
Alice Cooper – Dirty Diamonds
Reid Anderson – The Vastness of Space
Emerson Lake & Palmer – Trilogy
Dream Theater - Octavarium

To the Infimary today and I am at last discharged re the ankle with the caveat that it could take “one or two years” for my leg to return to “normal” – whatever that is...

As regards my left shoulder and arm, the effects of the injection of six weeks ago are starting to wear off and the pain is returning but I can’t be injected again as that could have a detrimental effect on my muscles and tendons. So I am now on the waiting list for an operation and should be under the knife in around three months...

At teatime we had an unexpected visit from Anne’s sister Jane with her kids, Oliver and Kitty – they were funny – wanting to see Meg the Black Cat and then running to their mum when Meg appeared...

They were fascinated too by the snails and slugs crawling along the path in the front garden...



In the evening I drove round to a postal depot to collect the recently ordered 200 blank CDs which arrived today while I was out...

When I arrived back, our friend Michelle had ust arrived. Anne and Michelle were off out to the Cinema to see “The Lake House”, leaving Meg the Black Cat and I to watch France v Portugal in the second semi-final of the World Cup...

After the first 30 minutes I gave up watching. John Motson and his sidekick, Mark Lawrenson, succeeded in providing the most biased commentary I have ever heard (barring any match involving England)...

The post match stats (on the BBC’s own website) didn’t bear out what they were saying (basically Portugal were rubbish because they cheated in getting Rooney sent off against England)...

Portugal had more possession, more shots (both on and off target) and more than twice as many corners than France. Of course France had a penalty (which Ricardo nearly saved)...

Don’t get me wrong, I thought France deserved to win (I returned to the game midway through the second half) as Portugal were ineffectual in the “last third” (i.e. they never looked likely to score) but the commentary from Motson was a disgrace...

I’m old enough to remember the days when commentators had to be impartial, even when England were playing. Kenneth “they think it’s all over” Wolstenholme was the only biased one amongst them...

Not to worry – it’s only a game...

During my break from the footie, I attempted a run through my set for 14 July. The first half was dreadful and I hope that’s that out of my system....

Anne arrived home having enjoyed the film but making a note not to rush to see Keanu Reeves in anything again...

A nice cup of tea, the highlights and then the end of another day....

Highlight of the Day : A visit from the kids.. Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

jimbo said...

Good news about the ankle Mr CBQ!
Hope to see you back on the field of play sometime in the not too distant...!
btw I agree with you re the football commentary....
Absolutely dreadful....
I don't remember hearing the same condemnation against Michael Owen when he did a ridiculous dive to get a penalty against Argentina in the 1998 World Cup...

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

I thought I'd maybe gone over the top re the footie there Jim - glad to have your corroboration. And I'd forgotten about Owen's dive - and I'm sure Gerrard dived recently to get a penalty although it might have been for Liverpool .

"You just don't get that in English football" (c) A Shearer...

jimbo said...

Also, it's apparently deemed as ok for Peter Crouch to pull a defender's dreadlocks to stop him getting to the ball and allowing Crouch to score.
He was described as "clever" by the studio pundits.