Wednesday, July 12, 2006

The piper's lament...

Playlist
The Emerson String Quartet - J S Bach's The Art of the Fugue
Cloudland Blue Quartet - The Acoustic Ersatzreal
Pink Floyd - The Piper at the Gates of Dawn

I've not mentioned for a while what a great cook Anne is. Night after night she produces wonderful meals which I merely scoff down before retiring upstairs to write, compute, sing, play or listen...

Top stuff from the Anne-ster....

Or maybe Anne-Star!!

And so tonight, another episode of "Coronation Street" comes and goes and is my only taste of the gogglebox - straight after, I'm upstairs again....

I've now been offered (and accepted) four sets at the Beanscene Coffee Houses during the Festival Fringe and will be playing at their Haymarket outlet on Saturday 5 August and Thursday 17 August at 7:30 each night and at their Nicolson Street Cafe on Friday 11 and Wednesday 23 August at 9:30 each night - so that's

Saturday 5 August (7:30) : Beanscene, Haymarket
Friday 11 August (9:30) : Beanscene, Nicolson St
Thursday 17 August (7:30) : Beanscene, Haymarket
Wednesday 23 August (9:30) : Beanscene, Nicolson St

In addition to this I am still to receive confirmation of a gig at The Ross Theatre in Princes St gardens...

And so, also tonight I had my last rehearsal for Friday's House Gig at POL's (1 High St Lasswade - No 31 bus from centre of Edinburgh in the direction of Polton Mill stops right outside - it's a couple of doors down from the Laird and Dog Hotel)..

It went marginally better than last night, fewer errors but there were still errors...

Then I picked around 30 songs to start rehearsing for the Fringe gigs (in 2004, I played 55 different songs over five nights at the Fringe and rather stretched myself, although it was an enjoyable experience)...

This time I think I'll choose a "squad" of songs from which I'll pick and choose on each night - the sets are to be 30 minutes, so that's between 6 and 8 songs a night depending on their length...

I phoned James Jamieson today to say I'd seen he's playing the Listening Room on Sunday night at 9pm (an hour of open mic from 8) - he didn't even know he was supposed to be playing.!!

And we can't rehearse until Sunday so it will be another flying by the seats of our pants experience, though judging from our playing last week, I'm sure it'll be fine...

Today the papers were full of eulogies for Pink Floyd's erstwhile leader Syd Barrett who died "a few days ago"....

Some people insist the first Floyd album is the best and that they went downhill after Syd was booted out for being constantly out of his face on drugs, but not me....

That's like people saying the Alice Cooper group went downhill after Bob Ezrin moulded them into the planet straddling behemoths they became in 1973 and that their first two albums, "Pretties For You" and "Easy Action", are better than "Love It To Death", "Killer", "School's Out" and "Billion Dollar Babies"....

The Coopers' first album was heavily influenced by early Pink Floys and the Piper album, since the two bands lived together in LA when the Floyd visited the USA in 1967/8..

Good as I think Alice Cooper's two early albums are, and the Floyd's "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" is, surely it's wishful thinking on the part of cloth-eared idiots to declare they are better than there respective descendants, "Killer", "Billion Dollar Babies", "Dark Side of the Moon" or the sublime, and Syd-based, "Wish You Were Here"?

Still, wish you were still here Syd....

RIP



Highlight of the Day : Four Fringe Gigs confirmed

No comments: