Saturday, July 15, 2006

Resisting the urge...

Playlist
Cloudland Blue Quartet – Best of 1994-2006 (2CD)
OK Go - Oh No
Mogwai – Mr Beast
Bryan Ferry – Goddess of Love (CD Single)

After yesterday’s adventures I decided to have a bit of a long lie this morning – but couldn’t sleep and so was up early as normal, around 7 am…

With a view to considering songs for the four Fringe gigs just confirmed, I decided to compile a two disc set featuring four songs each from my last eight song based albums, from 1994 to 2006 :

Kernelcrux (1994)
Starcrossfix (1995)
Callingstill (1997)
Doveloveshawk (1999)
Ampersand (2002)
Anotherhappyday (2003)
Deeperdown (2005)
Ersatzreal (due 2006)

Did that and designed a quick cover and labels, burned and printed the discs and printed the cover and, Bob’s your uncle….

Breakfast at home today as my mum was coming round for another trip through to the West, this time to see her old friend Pat in Paisley, who’s husband, Charlie (the Gadget Man), died last year…

The big downside to this was that I wouldn’t be able to go and see one of my heroes from the 70’s and 80’s, German guitarist and founder member of both Neu! And Kraftwerk, Michael Rother who was playing in Edinburgh tonight…

Leaving the house at 11:30, we made it to Paislay in just over an hour, which was quite good going… We listened to “The Best of CBQ 1994-2006” disc one on the way…

My mum finally asked “Is that you, son?” to which I responded in the affirmative and she said “I thought I recognised it”…

The weather was roasting hot and, to make matters worse, we lunched in Pat’s glass conservatory…

A good and tasty lunch it was though and, around 2, Anne and I headed off into Glasgow…

I dropped Anne off in the town centre to have a look round boring clothes shops while I went to park the car and then looked round very exciting CD shops….

Parking turned out to be free as, as I went to the machine to pay, a young lady gave me her ticket which still had two and half hours to run…

Very kind indeed…

I bought “Mr Beast” by Mogwai in FOPP, resisting the urge to splurge – then went round to Missing Records and bought the latest from OK Go “Oh No” and a CD single by Bryan Ferry…

Very controlled I thought…

Met up with Anne again and compared purchases and prices, each of us reckoning that our own acquisitions were more exciting…

We drove back to Paisley and decided to go to Barshaw Park for an ice-cream. This park was the scene of my great head-splitting incident at the age of about four when I fell under the roundabout – the roundabout is long gone, but the swings remain…

It also contains a pond where, over 40 years ago, I used to fish with a small net and collect tiny creatures in jar which stood on my mum’s clothes wringer until the poor beasts inevitably died over the next couple of days…



Even today, there are boys with nets doing exactly the same thing – the ice cream van in the park was selling nets…

I resisted the urge…

We returned to Pat’s and chatted for a while about things, during which I was rather cruel to my mum re what might happen if she had to go into care…

I managed to stay awake on the drive home, during which we listened to “The Best of CBQ 1994-2006” disc two – to which my mum’s reaction was “Is that you, son?” to which I responded in the affirmative and she said “I thought I recognised it”…

We were probably home soon enough for me to turn up slightly late for the Michael Rother gig but I was still a wee bit tired after Thursday night’s escapades, my late night last night, and all the driving today…

So I had an early night instead…

Phew – what a scorcher…

Highlight of the Day : Ice Cream at Barshaw Park Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

Disco Stu said...
Ice Cream at Barashaw Park, good name for a new song, methinks.

7:58 PM


lodgerlow said...
If you think it is hot today... wait until you get to Monday. Oh, and Wednesday is supposed to be 34C. Amazing.

9:27 PM


CBQ said...
I'm writing this on Monday. Water is dripping from me on to the computer.

It's too hot....

10:40 PM