Thursday, June 01, 2006

Sneaking a chum onto the board...

Music of the Day
CBQ – Nine New Songs
Halloween Alaska - Halloween Alaska

The first of my CDs from e-bay arrived today, the self titled debut album from Halloween Alaska (http://www.halloweenalaska.com/) – kind of experimental laid back electronic pop you might call it. Reviews mention David Sylvian and The Blue Nile but it doesn’t remind me of either. They have their own sound and of course feature the drummer from jazz trio, The Bad Plus (though this music is definitely NOT jazz)...



I listened to the CD as I drove along to Out of the Bedroom, arriving just after seven and getting my name into fourth spot on the board (I also smuggled James Jamieson’s name onto it as he couldn’t make it along until nearer ten)...

I booked Jamie to play around 10:20 with me following on at 10:35. I’d been listening to my new songs today and wanted to try and play three of the four new ones just written at the weekend...

Jamie played as expected, around 10:20, and gave a very fine performance of “The Morning After” – his Johnny Cash like piece, followed by “Ribbons of Pride”, another of his new songs for 2006, which reminds me of a kind of Motown ballad – no bad thing - and rounded off his set with the ever popular “Why Billy Why”...(I’m listening to “Morning” and “Ribbons” again as I type – great stuff JJ!)

After a slight rejig of slots, I ended up playing the last full set of the night and managed to fit all four new songs in by combining “I Fell For Your Blue Eyes Across The Room” (I love a snappy title) with “Starting to Worry” into a medley and followed them with “Chocolate on Your Bread” and “Rabbits on the Verge” all of which went down very well and all of which I enjoyed giving their debut performance...

Highlight of the Day : Singing some brand new songs

No comments: