Saturday, June 03, 2006

Poor wee horse...

Music of the Day
Hayley Hutchinson – Independently Blue
Haftor Medboe Group – In Perpetuity
Mathilde Santing – Under Your Charms
Various – The Sunday Times Music Collection
Billy Cobham – Many Years BC (Disc 2)
Depeche Mode – Ultra
Pink Floyd – The Wall

Up early today – I must have taken it a bit easy last night as I was no doubt subconsciously remembering that this morning I was to have my eyes tested at 9:30...

All went well. I can have glasses if I wish – but I would only need them for close reading (like CD booklets!) and, the earlier I give in to old age, the quicker my eye muscles will give up. So I’ll wait till things get a bit worse...

Looking forward to looking a bit more intelligent though...

One thing I did see without any difficulty however, was that there was a Record Fair going on next to the opticians so, as Anne underwent her tests, I went in to the Fair....

...and emerged around 30 minutes later having spent the princely sum of £8 on four 4CD sets comprising “The Sunday Times Music Collection“, which contains almost 200 tracks from the vaults of Sony and EMI and a good few (at least £8 worth) which I don’t already have (which is good)...

Then to M&S and I purchase a nice black suit – with two pairs of trousers of course, since my big manly thighs are quite obviously too big and manly to be contained in puny suit trousers for any more than a couple of months before bursting out...

We bought lunch there too and returned home to eat our sandwiches in the back garden...

Then it was time to demolish the bed in the spare room – by actually demolishing it I mean...

And to the dump with everything but the mattress, which will be collected by the council in a week or two...

I slump in front of the telly and end up watching “The Derby” purely because it’s on as Anne suns herself in the garden whilst reading a book...



I wish I hadn’t watched. It was a very, very close race, with the winner just a nose ahead of second who, in turn was a head ahead of third...

However, one horse, Horatio Nelson, was pulled up injured and I discovered later, had broken one of its legs...

Early news reports said vets were working to save the horse, so, even though I don’t believe in God, I said a silent prayer for Horatio Nelson...

In the evening, I was cheered up by a scary episode of Dr Who, first of a two-parter about “Hell” being a planet next to a black hole, and at the centre of the planet was the pit into which Satan had been cast...

We enjoyed an Indian Takeaway, then “CSI:New York” and “Law & Order : Criminal Intent”, our Saturday night staples, along with Dr Who...

However, the day ended on a very sad note as I went to the computer to check the news, only to find the report on the Derby had been amended to say Horatio Nelson had had to be destroyed – full details here - (http://www.bloodhorse.com/articleindex/article.asp?id=33842)....

He was only two and a half years old....



Lowlight of the Day : Horatio Nelson RIP

No comments: