Thursday, June 29, 2006

The king of song (in my head)...

Playlist
Various - Now That’s What I Call Music Oct 73 - March 74
Trevor Rabin - Live in LA
Cloudland Blue Quartet - Nine New Songs
Cloudland Blue Quartet - The Acoustic Deeperdown

Had a nice lunch today in the rooftop restaurant at Oloroso with chums Gary and Colin and a couple of others including a fervent England football supporter who took a bit of a ribbing re the quality of his side’s performances thus far in the World Cup. However, we all had to reluctantly agree that there was a reasonable chance England could end up winning the tournament by default….

Back home and some lovely pasta and salad for tea before heading out to Out of the Bedroom having chosen a “sqaud” of five songs from which to choose when I got there and taking along the full session CDs for all participants in the OOTB Vol IV CD…

I met Jill Hepburn, a singer who’ve I’ve not seen for ages and who is the proud owner of quite a few CBQ CDs. She’s had a terrible time of it recently - she told me her brother was killed two months ago in a motorcycle accident…

It will take her a long time to come to terms with that, if ever….

She struggled for a while re whether she wanted to continue writing and singing her songs but, in the end, decided there’d be no point in giving up…

I told her it was the third anniversary of my Dad’s death today and about my entry here yesterday when I got a wee bit maudlin but perked up when I realized my dad would’ve wanted me to remember the good times and have a laugh and a joke in his memory…

So here she was tonight to sing three lovely songs and she gave a sterling performance - my favourite being “A Life On Land”…

For my own part, on a night when the standard was particularly high, I feel I managed to keep up with the pace and played “Half a Lifetime Away”, “The End of Everything” and “Starting to Worry”....

Of course I had all these funny stories in my head as introductions and was going to let people know I’m playing in Lasswade next Friday and mention the website etc and how they could get my CDs but, despite playing in front of audiences for nearly thirty years I still get so nervous my mind just goes blank, so I probably looked like a fat twat with an angelic voice that wasn’t very good at playing the guitar...

In my head though, I was the king of song!!

I was buoyed by listening to my nine new songs whilst driving to and from the club...

I left at 10 and was home by 10:15 and watched “Question Time” with Anne. It was from Perth today, yet they seemed to have been unable to locate any Scots to represent Labour, Conservatives or the fifth member of the panel who is usually some media type or comedian....

And they spent far too long discussing whether Sots ought to be supporting England in the World Cup. Now they’re out, are Holland supporting Germany? If England go out will they support France?

Who cares – it’s only a game....

Surfed till late whilst listening to the Acoustic Deeperdown and was conscious I hadn’t phoned my mum..

Can I also just say that Myspace is officially a shit piece of software. Thank you...

Highlight of the Day : I am the King of Song

No comments: