Sunday, June 04, 2006

Debussy and the birds...

Music of the Day
Mick Ronson – Slaughter on 10th Avenue
Robert Fripp – exposure
Debussy – Piano Works
Rautavarra - Piano Works
Satie - Piano Works
Tallis – Spem in Alium
Ken Hensley – Eager to Please

Up early, around 6 am, and surfed the net whilst listening to Mick Ronson and Robert Fripp, wasting my time as usual...

Then I went downstairs as Anne remained sleeping, and I listened to some piano works by Debussy, while the sound of birdsong came in the window I’d opened to allow Meg the Black Cat to pop in and out of the garden...



Whilst listening to Mr Debussy (this 4CD set of his complete piano works is one of my favourite classical discs, it’s a recording from 1964 by Peter Frankl) I read some of the architecture book I got back at Christmas – it’s been on the coffee table since then...

So, a nice restful start to the day, even though it was very early...

I made breakfast once Anne woke and then we decided to give some of our books away to Lothian Cat Rescue (http://www.lothiancatrescue.org.uk/), where Anne volunteers one day a week, looking after all the wee cats (around fifty at present)...

It took us about two hours just to go through one bookshelf deciding which books could go and then tidying and throwing out loads of other rubbish cluttering up the shelves...

I then spent some considerable time shredding old docs we found which couldn’t go straight into the bin...

Then, as Anne started stripping wallpaper from the walls of the back room, I started the final piece of work I need to do on OOTB CD IV, which is burning all 15 entire sessions to individual discs to be given to each of the acts...

Rather a long and laborious task, which I took a break from after eight discs and went to sing through an impromptu set of around 15 songs, picked almost at random from a large pile of music lying I the back room....

This then prompted me to choose a 15 song set list for a few proposed gigs I may have coming up in and around Edinburgh over the summer...

Half way through that set, the call came for me to go with Anne round to her mum’s for tea with sister in law Jane, her husband Bobby and my nephew Ollie and Niece Kitty....

Ollie was most amused when I told him it was a year ago tomorrow since I put his head in the washing machine....

Back home, I finished playing through the setlist then watched some telly (a programme about Germany’s record in the World Cup) before going to bed...

Highlight of the Day : Debussy and the birds...

No comments: