Thursday, February 02, 2006

We do have the right to ridicule God...

WARNING :
IF YOU ARE MUSLIM, DO NOT LOOK AT THE FOLLOWING CARTOONS - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED FAIRLY AND SQUARELY - IF YOU DO LOOK, IT'S NOT MY FAULT - I TOLD YOU NOT TO...

Thanks

Anyone else, feel free to read on....

(man, if only the Danes had thought of that...)



Started the day by more spring cleaning on the jukebox....

Adding in loads of CDs I thought should have been on there but weren't has started to fill it back up rather quickly, so I resolved to delete all various artist albums and all live albums...

Freed up space is now around 9.5 GB which should allow me to upload all the albums I feel I need to...

I also looked for a chronology of classical composers and found one on this rather interesting site:- http://www.classicalarchives.com/

I wanted to see who my favourites were...

On perusing their timeline from the 14 th to the 20th Centuries, I'd have to say my favourite period stretches from the 15th to the early 18th Century, spanning the Renaisance, Baroque and Classical periods, with my favourite composers being the usual suspects - Vivaldi, Bach, Handel, Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven...

This seems conservative but, from a listening perspective, these are the composers whose work (and whose contemporaries' works) give me the most pleasure....

I'm not overly fond of the 19th Century Romantic periods, though I do like much by Schumann, Brahms, Janacek, Elgar and Debussy but probably prefer the more challenging works of the Modern and Contemporary periods...

I enjoy composers such as Bartok, Part, Berg, Schoenberg, Webern, Satie, Shostakovich, Barber, Rautavaara, Schnittke, Stockhasen, Takemitsu, Gorecki and Xenakis...even if much of it is, to all intents and purposes, tuneless - but then so is much of the recorded output of my favourite band, King Crimson...

I also enjoy the music of pop composers such as John Adams, Steve Reich, Philip Glass and Michael Nyman....

OK that's enough about classical music...

This evening's viewing comprised "Hyperdrive" on video followed by "Judge John Deed", "My Name Is Earl" "Rock School" and "This Week"...

A bit of a stramash going on around the world at the moment (to put it mildly) due to some cartoons of Mohammed. Religion eh?

Apparently it's not right to create a picture of the "prophet" but - it's been being done for centuries - why the big moan now?

See here : http://www.zombietime.com/mohammed_image_archive/

I think any paper should be allowed to print these cartoons, as long as, for muslim readers' sakes, it is stated clearly that any muslims should not gaze upon whichever pages contain the cartoons..

Problem solved - after all, how can it possibly be bad for people who don't believe in something, to look at cartoons of it?

Yes, we do have the right to ridicule God.

Highlight of the Day : My Name is Earl (again)

P.S. In the interests of Freedom of Speech, the cartoons are at the top of this entry - to see each one in full go here :-
http://face-of-muhammed.blogspot.com/

Religion eh?

2 comments:

Gordon said...

Hi there - Just doing the rounds of the 'Edinburgh' area blogs. There's a blogmeet on the 18th, in the Jolly Judge. More details on the Scottish Blogs website.

pass it on.

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

Sorry to keep banging on, but, while it undeniably brings comfort to many millions around the world, at its base, religion is anti-reason and, therefore, evil.

I thank you..