Thursday, February 16, 2006

Almost like the old days....

The printer finally gave up the ghost this morning and has left me having to send out white-label discs with no covers with the promise of the real thing to follow....

This is extremely annoying as it's not exactly old, probably just over a year or so and was ideal for printing directly onto CDs....

It's a Canon i865...

Don't buy one...

Marty the IT man reckons the print heads have clogged up and they can't be fixed....

He recommends a Hewlett Packard machine, as their ink cartridges come with built in heads so, every time you replace the ink, you replace the heads...

So there you are, some free advice re printers...

Back to physio today and much more satisfactory - I was in the gym for around an hour and had plenty of time to get through all the various exercises which my physio had prescribed for me....

I managed to change all my future appointments too to ensure I'd always have at least 55 minutes...

The girl taking the session today was a breath of fresh air - explaining things (e.g. don't exercise into pain because at the point where pain kicks in, the muscles you're exercising switch off) and generally actually taking an interest - my own physio is very dry with no discernable sense of humour...

She's still much better than the girl who took the Tuesday class - she is not only a torn-faced humourless automoton (and that's a slur on robots, believe me) but I found out today she must have closed the class fifteen minutes early on Tuesday...

Anyway, after the workout, I got home around 5:30 and practised for tonight's performance, finally choosing "The Crocodile Song" (in a different key from the original) and "Skylines Full of Cranes" to accompany the cover version...

Anne was off out tonight to meet up with Lynn and so I drove into town on my own, listening to Sparks at full volume. "Perfume" is my favourite track of all tracks right now - my No 1 you might say...don't tell me you don't make up your own charts...

I arrived at 7:30 and was 4th onto the board booking my first slot at OOTB since October - my first for 17 weeks, which in turn was my first in 10 weeks. So after tonight I would have played there only three times in six months, whereas I used to play there every fortnight...I ensured Jamie got a slot too by illegally chalking his name up when no-one was looking (except Jim Igoe...)

The theme of the night was CC (the Roman numeral for 200) - standing for Covers and Collaborations - and what a great night it was too...

Amongst the highlights were...

Impossible Songs taking the big chocolate cake onstage and leading everyone in singing Happy Birthday to the club and to regular soundman Dave O'Hara not to mention their cover of Norman Lamont's "Call Back"...

Tommy Mackay's incisive wit in melding a Ramones track with Beethoven's 9th Symphony - yes, really...

Norman Lamont's lovely cover of Jill Hepburn's "Moon on my Mind" - played using Fripp's New Standard Tuning which Norman's been working with since attending a Guitar Craft course in Germany recently...

Hannah O'Reilly's cover of Chris Brown's "Redemption"....

The fantastic (ha ha) Cloudland Blue Quartet who had people singing along to "Skylines Full of Cranes" followed by a "beautiful" (c 2006 J Jamieson) version of Lindsay West's "Do As Others Do" - which Lindsay unfortunately arrived just a few minutes too late to hear...

Callum Haddow's cover of Big Jim's song about Love and Chocolate...

Lindsay Sugden & Karen of the Decibels fragile cover of Norman's "(Only) the Sea" including some great glockenspiel...

James Jamieson surprising me by covering "You Taught Me How To Love You (Now Teach Me To Forget)" and giving a great debut public performance of his Johhny Cash inspired new song "The Morning After"...

David Ferrard & Jim Igoe covering each other's songs as a duo - "Braveheart Beggar" and "Rescue Me" - the latter including a few lines from the Velvets' "Run Run Run"...

Big Jim returning Callum Haddow's compliment by covering Calum's animal killing song..

And, finishing off the night, Scott Renton with his violin wiedling sidekick Bruce Thomson, leading everyone in a closing rousing singalong to Chris Brown's "Alive"...

A great night...

I took pics of all the players, except me of course. However, from the stage I captured the audience on camera (click the pics to enlarge)...




Yes a good time was had by all - it was almost like the old days....

Highlight of the Day : OOTB 200

No comments: