Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Death walks amongst us...

Back to the physio today but my appointment was diverted away from my ankle and on to my arm as, following my visit on Friday to the doctor, he had, as promised, referred me re the shoulder pains...

After taking copious notes regarding the pain levels (9/10 but only because 10/10 was the pain of having your leg cut off without anaesthetic) and bending my arm into various painful positions, the physio declared there was nothing she could do really as there’s nothing wrong with the arm in itself...

She gave an explanation which I have great trouble in understanding. Apparently it’s all to do with my nervous system – it has got to the stage where the pain identifying nerves are not switching off and are relaying pain to my brain based on movements being made – even though those pains should not actually cause pain based on the condition of my arm..

I must now get into the way of pain management because I have chronic pain in my arm which may never go away, or which may well disappear over time....

I did ask for some exercises I might do and I received some, plus a few therabands to help me out. So now I must work on the mobility of the arm – although all of the above diagnosis would seem to suggest that it won’t matter what I do...

A weird situation indeed...

And so my future guitar playing is in doubt...

To cheer myself up (not of course that this is the worst thing that could ever happen to a human being) I went to FOPP and bought two jazz CDs...

The classic John Coltrane album “My Favourite Things” wherein he and his combo wig out over forty minutes on tunes such as George Gershwin’s “Summertime” and that song from “The Sound of Music”, “My Favourite Things” – you know the one I mean? “brown paper packages, tied up with string..” etc etc – which was parodied in Alice Cooper’s excellent song from 1971’s “Killer”, “Halo of Flies”...



...and Jacques Loussier’s classic from the late 50’s, “Play Bach No 1” in which his trio reinterpret the works of JS Bach for jazz piano, bass and drums. This reminds me of my dad – the last concert we attended together (not that there were many) was one at the Queen’s Hall by the aforementioned Mr Loussier, whose jazz interpretations of the classics, he loved...



Home to find Anne in a bit of tizzy at the latest “crisis” to befall Hearts. Andy Webster, their Scotland international centre back, who has ambitions to play for Rangers for £20,000 a week (it is rumoured) has been dropped to the subs bench. It is suspected that club owner and generally all out mental case (but astute businessman) Vlad Romanov has ordered this due to the stalling of contract talks...

Webster has demanded to know why he’s been dropped. Coach Rix has foolishly uttered the immortal line “it’s not my decision” instead of telling him to “put up or shut up I am the boss”, Webster has gone blubbing to his agent and his agent has gone blabbing to the press saying Romanov’s picking the team...

And all this just before an important away match at Dundee Utd – from which the Jam Tarts are lucky to come away with a draw...

Telly tonight consists of “CSI” and a tape of the last episode in the hilarious political spoof series “The Thick of It”...

Sad news received that my old mucker, Alan Brodie’s mum has died. She’d been in hospital since last August following a stroke and, to be fair, it wasn’t expected she’d be coming back out. But that does not lessen the loss. Of course Alan’s not been the most easily obtainable person over the last year or so and I just have to leave a message of condolence with his lodger...and hope that he’ll get back I touch...

Highlight of the Day : The purchase of two classic jazz albums

1 comment:

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

I like that term "pain which really isn't there". However, i don't like the pain!

Thanks for the tip Ms L - I will look into this.