Friday, December 16, 2005

Drinking is bad...oh yes

Two more CDs arrived today - Adrian Belew's "Side One" which I discussed yesterday and which is quite excellent, and a great compilation of the best of Hans Joachim Roedelius from 1978 to 1982, "Auf leisen Sohlen"...



The music on this second CD evoked one of the best times of my life when Anne and I were living in Germany in 1980 - I remember buying three LPs by Roedelius, his first three "Self Portrait" albums, all recorded in his home studio..just the sound of this music took me right back to our little flat...

In the evening I went out for the first time since breakingmy ankle...

Nowadays, I don't get drunk very often but, when i do, it's usually to excess...

It seems that, if I have one drink, I need to have another. Then it's too late. I will end up drunk as a skunk. This is what happened tonight. I attended a Christmas Party at Murrayfield Rugby Stadium - complete with crutches...

I had promised Anne I wouldn't drink more than two alcoholic drinks and that I'd be home shortly after the end of the night which was due to be 1am - having arranged a lift there and back. Turned out I got too drunk and must have turned down the kindly offer of a lift home for some reason (probably because I was drunk)...

This meant I had to walk from the stadium to the main road. Normally this might take 5-10 minutes. Being drunk and on crutches, the journey time stretched to around 30 minutes. Luckily I got a taxi straight away and was in the house at 2am - however I dropped one of my crutches outside the back door and was locking it leaving the crutch outside when Anne appeared to save the day...

Drinking is bad.

Post Script - I have since spoken to Anne (not my Anne, another Anne) who had taken me to the party and offered to give me a lift home. It turns out she had said to me around 12:45 that she was taking another couple home and would be back for me. I have no recollection of this whatsoever of course! To make matters worse, the other couple didn't seem to know how to get to their flat and Anne also picked up Lorna (the girl at whose BBQ I got so drunk at in the summer that I had to be taken home early) who she'd found wandering in the street outside the stadium. This meant that by the time Anne got back to Murrayfield I'd already left to walk across a filed with my crutches...

Let me just say again - Drinking is bad.

Merry Christmas!! Ho Ho Ho!

No comments: