Monday, December 19, 2005

The bridge of inconvenience...

Another CD arrives today - Pete Locket's Network of Sparks, featuring Bill Bruford. This is an album consisting almost entirely of percussion. It's good, but probably not one I'll listen to very often...

Elsewhere, I attempt a fourth version of the proposed new Calling Card CD. I'm still not happy with it and think I'll postpone this till the New Year...

In the evening Anne's stranded for a while in Fife as a woman has climbed one of the towers of the Forth Road Bridge threatening to throw herself off. Eventually she comes down but only after the police have closed the bridge and inconvenienced thousands...

Surely there must be easier ways to kill yourself than to throw yourself from the highest part of Scotland's busiest bridge at Rush Hour. What was she thinking??

2 comments:

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

With all due respect, she didn't shut down as she didn't jump but climbed down. She succeeded in drawing attention to her problems and hopefully will now receive help and support.

I'd be interested to know the percentage of potential bridge/other public spaces suicides who actually carry out the act.

My point was that if you're intent on committing suicide, you probably do it in a less public space (and cause considerably less inconvenience to everyone else)and succeed.

Obviously I have sympathy for anyone who finds themselves in such a desperate state that they even contemplate such an act but climbing up a bridge and failing to jump off is surely more a cry for help/attention than a suicide attempt.

Anyway, I'm glad she didn't jump.

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

I'm not angry and I appreciate your comments. I was far too flippant in my original entry and I'll leave it at that.

Thanks for the handshake - much appreciated.