Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Treatment and design...

"Treatment and Design" is the title of an album I recorded in 1981 using only synthesisers - today I spent much of my time on treatment and design...

I was up at six and to the computer where, whilst listening over and over to the new pieces created yesterday, I set about creating the cover for what might be the next CBQ CD....

For cover art, while I will usually treat one of my own photographs in a variety of ways to produce a new piece of art (e.g. the cover of "Deeperdown")....



...I will also sometimes treat another artist's work (e.g. the cover of "Through The Day")...



My first attempt today was using a painting by Jack Tworkov, "L.Pa. No.1" (1961, gouache, graphite, and watercolor) - I was attracted to him by his rather quirky name - here is the original painting....



...and my rather boring treatment, which I subsequently rejected...



For new inspiration, I turned to a photo blog you can access via my links under "New York Commute"...

It's by a guy called Travis Ruse. He works in NYC and takes photos everyday during his commute to the city...

When Creek was going to release the recordings made on 6 June this year (subsequently vetoed by Stu Cobley) I worked on Travis' photo from that day to treat it up into a cover artwork for the CD...

Here is the original (which is copyright Travis Ruse 2005)...



...and my treatment for that project...



So, for a possible cover for the proposed new CBQ CD "Sospiri", I returned to Mr Ruse' site and treated Travis' picture from 27 December, the day on which the music was created....

Here's the photo (which is copyright Travis Ruse 2005)....



...and the mock up of the CD cover...



Of course, now that I've shown the original photo, the illusion in the treatment, of a small figure holding something aloft, is broken...

Away from "creation", today, Anne very kindly took back the Vertigo Box Set I borrowed from the library a week before the ankle break. It makes a fine companion to the Island Box I've just acquired...

While Anne was out, I was going to watch "Minority Report" but she came home sooner than expected so that's back on the back burner for now - although I did see the first 15 minutes or so and it's looking good....

Unlike me, Anne is not a big fan of SF films...

I also took some time today to peruse two (or rather three) of the new books I received on Christmas Day..

I am a fan of Architecture...



..and of Modern Art...



Some of the buildings created in the very early part of the 20th Century are astounding - or were, as many of them were in Germany's major cities and so were destroyed in the Second World War...

In the evening, I worked on a fifth draft of the fourth in the series of free "Calling Card" sampler CDs from Crispycat and then, after creating this piece of Modern Art...



...I watched The Comic Strip's "Sex Actually". It was pointless rubbish....

Match of the Day was good though as we'd avoided the scores beforehand...

Colourful post today...

1 comment:

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

I came across his site via your links - thanks for that Ms Low